Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default GX-65 Bug List and Known Issues for Bel to address

Like Mem-Tek was saying, might as well start a thread with any known bugs or things that could be inproved on the GX-65. Lets help them help us...you know

Ill start with a copy of the email I sent them explaining what I have found so far. People can chime in with their feedback and hopefully we can see a firmware update soon.

Come on be part of the fixes!!

My email to them:
    Hi,
    I am contacting you about some issues I have discovered on the GX-65. I am a
    member of radardetector.net and have been doing some testing on this detector.
    I own it and use it every day.

1. In normal operation when under 20 mph, if hit by K band the RD beeps twice
    and is silent with full bars. However if you turn the GPS off, it still
    continues to do the same thing (as if the GPS is stuck on). If you then cycle
    the power to the RD (radar detector), then you will get full tone and full bars
    at 0 mph when hit by my Kustom Falcon K band gun. I think there is some kind of
    bug that does not allow the GPS to turn off or "unlatch". Also, school zone
    speed limits in the southwest are only 15 mph. Therefore the lower limit on the
    gps muting should be 15 mph and not 20. In highway mode there should be no GPS
    muting unless at 0 mph since we want the highest sensitivity at all times.

2. I lock out a K band 24.179 door opener and drive by, the satellite symbol
    will start to spin like normal with no alert at all. If I then pull out my
    Falcon K band 24.145 and hit it, there is still no alert at all !! I have
    tried this with 3 different K band guns and all are the same result of no alert.

To add to this, it turns out the lockout raduis is about .7 miles. That equals
    1.4 miles total diameter that a LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) could hit me with
    K band and Im caught since there will be no alert.

I think that whenever a person is in a lockout zone, whether or not it is
    actually detecting the door opener or not, the smart cord should be flashing.
    The Sat symbol is just too hard to see spinning unless you are actually looking
    at it. Maybe you can make some of these things user options to turn flashing on
    or off.?

Hopefully these items can be fixed with a firmware update in the near future. I
    would love to make th GX a better product for both us and you.

Default Re: GX-65 Bug List and Known Issues for Bel to address

With regards to #2, locking out a specific door opener location and then trying one of your K band radar guns, there is a reason why this test didn't work.:

When you initially lock out a location, a GX65 or 9500i or 9500ix automatically goes into "learning mode" and looks for any other X or K band frequencies which are located really close by the lockout location. If the signal strength was weak to fairly weak when you hit the lockout button the the lockout radius will automatically be set to the minimum size lockout radius.

To stop these RD's from "learning" about any additional frequencies within the lockout radius you have to do one of two things: Either drive for at least 1 mile and then power cycle your RD using its power button. This commits the lockout data to memory. Or you can simply drive to another location which you want to lock out and lock out this new location. Locking out a new location forces the previous lockout location data to be committed to memory.

So, when you locked out a specific K band door opener and then flipped on one of your K band radar guns, what resulted was two things: First, the radar gun frequencies was automatically added to the data for that lockout location since the RD was still in "learning mode". Second, the power of the radar gun signal caused the RD to automatically set the maximum size lockout radius which is supposed to be a 1/2 mile radius.

If you want to repeat the test, first drive to the locked out location and clear it. Then power cycle your RD to be sure that the data truly gets wiped from memory. Now, lock out the specific location which you want to test and then drive 1 mile and power cycle your RD using its power button. When you drive back to the lockout location and have a spinning GPS icon, then you can try one of your K band radar guns and you should get an alert.

Lead Foot

I actually locked it out then drove away. Then drove by to make sure it was locked out. Then drove by again and blasted it with my gun.

I just didnt want to type all that in the original description.

But I can repeat it and do a 5 mile loop and cycle the detector just to make sure for arguments sake.
    Ill let you know if it changes or if I get pulled over for "cruising" or a suspicious vehicle....lol.

Lead Foot

I forgot to add one more option I would like to see.
    Have the smartcord plug flash during a cam or marked location alert until you pass it.
    More than just 2 very small beeps would also be nice in tone mode or maybe a different more annoying tone. 2 beeps isnt enough.

Quote Originally Posted by gpracer1 View Post
    I actually locked it out then drove away. Then drove by to make sure it was locked out. Then drove by again and blasted it with my gun.

But I can repeat it and do a 5 mile loop and cycle the detector just to make sure for arguments sake.
    Ill let you know if it changes or if I get pulled over for "cruising" or a suspicious vehicle....lol.
    Until you either power cycle your GX65 or lock out another location, the GX65 will remain in "learning mode" each time you drive back to the locked out location.

I forgot to add one more option I would like to see.
    Have the smartcord plug flash during a cam or marked location alert until you pass it.
    More than just 2 very small beeps would also be nice in tone mode or maybe a different more annoying tone. 2 beeps isnt enough.
    Neat. I like the smartcord flashing idea for camera and marked locations. Yeah, 2 beeps isn't enough. Perhaps 2 beeps followed by a quiet interval of 5 seconds and then repeating? There are several neat possibilities of stuff which could be added to the firmware.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK View Post
    Until you either power cycle your GX65 or lock out another location, the GX65 will remain in "learning mode" each time you drive back to the locked out location.

I didnt know it did that. I wish they would include that info on the owners manual.

Banned

Lock out the false then when icon stops spinning power down the unit. you can even drive a short distance than power it back on if you wish. Then test with the K band gun.

For the request with the 20mph 2 beep i would prefer 20-25mph so it might be best if they allow us to choose 15, 20 & 25mph our selves.

Have some fun today testing with your radar guns after following the procedures I outlined to make sure that your GX65 no longer is in learning mode.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK View Post
    Have some fun today testing with your radar guns after following the procedures I outlined to make sure that your GX65 no longer is in learning mode.
    Well since Im single and its V day, I went for a spin in the vette.

I started all over. The location was still locked out. I unlocked it and drove 3 miles and powered off. Drove past again and it alerted K band 24.160. Last week it was 24.179
    So I drove 3 more miles and got to the location and locked it out. Drove another 3 miles and cycled power. Drove by again and it was locked out with sat symbol spinning. Drove another 3 miles (this is each way BTW) and made another pass, this time pointing my gun out the side window 90 degree as the sat was spinning in the lockout zone......no alert
    It acted exactly the same as before. Even if after I pass the zone and the sat stops spinning, I can wait 300 meters and hit with the gun and the sat starts to spin again and no alert.

Now the only problem this time is both the door and the gun were reading 24.160 this time. Last week it was 24.179 and 24.145

Just to make sure, I ran down the freeway and found a Photo Van, he was shooting 24.102 Ill bet some RDs dont even pick that up at all.