Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: RX65 POP Mode

  1. #1

    Default RX65 POP Mode

    I talked with the speed measurement program coordinator for my state and he had some interesting information regarding POP. POP is a trademark name used by MPH. POP as refered to by MPH is not in wide use across my state. However, POP is really the same thing as a hold button on most radar guns used in the state. The officer visually locks onto a vehicle, tracks it, and then lets go of the hold button. With that in mind, I'm wondering if I should turn the POP mode on. I realize that I will receive more falses, but is it really that bad? Any advice?

  2. #2
    Old Timer
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,806

    Default Re: RX65 POP Mode

    Quote Originally Posted by SCRadarGuy
    However, POP is really the same thing as a hold button on most radar guns used in the state.
    Not true. POP is a 67 or 16 millisecond burst, that detectors needed to be updated to detect (hence the POP mode on the Belscorts). Only certain MPH brand guns (BEE III, Enforcer, Z series) offer POP, which is a special mode. Instant on (aka the "hold button" you mention) is a much longer burst of radar, which is as long as the officer releases the hold (1+ seconds typically). Any detector can pick up regular instant-on, whether POP detection is enabled or not. And any late model brand of radar gun can do instant on, even if it doesn't offer POP.

    Turning POP on on the RX65 or X50 will lead to more falsing, since it often will interpret emissions from cheap detectors as a POP burst.
    If I'm passing you on the right, YOU are in the wrong lane!

    If speed kills, how come I'm still alive?

    Active Countermeasures: V1 3.858, Escort Redline, Beltronics STi-R+, LI Dual 7.1x CPU/8.7 Heads (front)
    Other/Backup Countermeasures: V1 3.813 (loaned to friend), Beltronics Pro RX65 M4 6.3
    Vehicle: 2002 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
    LEO Toys: Kustom Pro Laser II & III
    Encounters/Saves August 2011: Radar 3/1, Laser 0/0


  3. #3
    Experienced
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    259

    Default

    Personally I get only <3-4 pop falses a week. If I get this : POP, POP, POP, POP nonstop, then I know its a false from a cheap detector near by. Thats when I mute the X65 8) otherwise, I take it as a real threat. I live in Florida, and in my area, I have personally confirmed POP is used.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RensoreK
    Personally I get only <3-4 pop falses a week. If I get this : POP, POP, POP, POP nonstop, then I know its a false from a cheap detector near by. Thats when I mute the X65 8) otherwise, I take it as a real threat. I live in Florida, and in my area, I have personally confirmed POP is used.
    Today was the first day I saw a real POP received on my RX65. Then he did an instant on. This was FHP in northern Palm Beach County on I95. I do get more POP falses in USA Mode though, so I think International Mode is the way to go. I need to collect more data in USA Mode to be sure.

    Phil ~

  5. #5
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    15

    Default

    I got a POP hit on the LIE by a nassau cop

  6. #6
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Southern MA
    Posts
    10,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zee
    I got a POP hit on the LIE by a nassau cop
    Yet they don't have those guns according to my research.

    Spoiler: show

    Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

  7. #7
    Experienced
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PHILBERT
    Quote Originally Posted by RensoreK
    Personally I get only <3-4 pop falses a week. If I get this : POP, POP, POP, POP nonstop, then I know its a false from a cheap detector near by. Thats when I mute the X65 8) otherwise, I take it as a real threat. I live in Florida, and in my area, I have personally confirmed POP is used.
    Today was the first day I saw a real POP received on my RX65. Then he did an instant on. This was FHP in northern Palm Beach County on I95. I do get more POP falses in USA Mode though, so I think International Mode is the way to go. I need to collect more data in USA Mode to be sure.

    Phil ~
    I live in Florida and yes, the state of Florida has a contract with MPH Industries, as far as I know the Orlando Police has them, and the Florida Highway Patrol *MIGHT* have them, I have not personally confirmed this, as I usually see them doing instant-on most of the time, they are good as this, no detector will save you from instant-on most of the time. So just drive within a few miles/hour of the limit when unsure.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RensoreK
    Quote Originally Posted by PHILBERT
    Quote Originally Posted by RensoreK
    Personally I get only <3-4 pop falses a week. If I get this : POP, POP, POP, POP nonstop, then I know its a false from a cheap detector near by. Thats when I mute the X65 8) otherwise, I take it as a real threat. I live in Florida, and in my area, I have personally confirmed POP is used.
    Today was the first day I saw a real POP received on my RX65. Then he did an instant on. This was FHP in northern Palm Beach County on I95. I do get more POP falses in USA Mode though, so I think International Mode is the way to go. I need to collect more data in USA Mode to be sure.

    Phil ~
    I live in Florida and yes, the state of Florida has a contract with MPH Industries, as far as I know the Orlando Police has them, and the Florida Highway Patrol *MIGHT* have them, I have not personally confirmed this, as I usually see them doing instant-on most of the time, they are good as this, no detector will save you from instant-on most of the time. So just drive within a few miles/hour of the limit when unsure.
    RensoreK,

    Roger that! I get most of the legit hits on or around (+/- 100 MHz) 34.700 up north of WPB. I see some 33.8 usage in Palm Beach County by FHP. This is also where I get real POPs where you can visually see the target. My local PD also has some 33.8 guns, so I would expect some POPs. Only one legit 35.5 hit by FHP so far. Much more testing is needed.

    On the speed issue, I do not speed. I am just interested in how these things work and it's fun to see what I'm missing out there. :wink:

  9. #9
    Professional
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RensoreK
    I live in Florida and yes, the state of Florida has a contract with MPH Industries,..., and the Florida Highway Patrol *MIGHT* have them, I have not personally confirmed this
    The information I have found online concerning the bids and awards for the FHP tells me that they have units from 4 different vendors, one of which is MPH. It doesn't specify the models, but does say that the majority of their units are from Applied Concepts(Stalker). This is in the bid specifications for the contract to maintain their radar units. It was awarded to a FL company that has tech's certified by the four brand names that are in the FHP's 1530 radar units.

    All of the awarded bids I could find online for FHP radar have been to Applied Concepts. (240 units in 04, 39 units in 03, $603k worth in 98 ) MPH's website says they have had POP capable units on the market since '99, but I can't find any record or photo of one in a FHP vehicle.

    MPH has been invited to bid on the FHP contracts, but they haven't won any that I could find since '98.

    I don't know how the radar detectors can technically tell a signal is a POP burst rather than just a short piece of a regular radar transmission that it didn't fully receive? I don't doubt that some of your detectors are telling you that POP is in use, but I'd sure like for someone to also be able to say without a doubt that they saw a newer MPH unit in the car or hand of the FHP officer at the same time as the POP alert.

    Ed

  10. #10
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,509

    Default

    Craig Paterson of radartest.com claims Florida has some:

    "The Nevada Highway Patrol had the largest number of BEE IIIs: 77 in service by late 2004, enough to equip about 40 percent of its highway patrol fleet. (The other cars had Kustom Signals Golden Eagles.) The Indiana Highway Patrol had 20 BEE IIIs among its arsenal of some 520 radar guns. No other state was using more than a handful: Florida, Montana, Mississippi, Ohio and West Virginia had an average of ten each."

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Bel V955 v. RX65 If not used in USA Mode
    By KMG1219 in forum Beltronics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-04-2012, 08:05 AM
  2. RX65 USA Mode
    By red04svtfocus in forum Beltronics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-29-2011, 10:37 PM
  3. What mode do yo use for Ka band on your Rx65.
    By RoadWarrior86 in forum Beltronics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-20-2008, 11:34 PM
  4. who here use their rx65 in usa mode and.....
    By Valerino in forum Beltronics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-18-2008, 10:25 AM
  5. RX65 Ka mode???????????
    By 70superbee in forum Beltronics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-17-2006, 02:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •