Radar Fanatic

Default GX-65 Database Capacity Size

We get weekly downloads of speed cam locations addiitions of udates of speed trap information, etc and in my case I will be getting 3 years of weekly dowloads due to the fact that I have the 2yr extended warranty.

These downloads consist of maybe 234 KB or maybe 256 KB- I skipped installing the last download because it did not contain any information in any of the states I go to.

In 3 years one can download 1/week for 52 weeks x 3 years adds up to approximately 624 downloads. (4/month)

The owner's manual says that the owner will be warned when the database catagory approaches 80% full- what you do after that is up in the air to me - download till you reach 100% capacity and then what do you do after that to keep your GX-65 up to date?

Any way a long way around to get to my question which is how long do you think of weekly updates of say 236-256 KBs each do you think it would take to reach the 80% warning and how long until the Gx-65 is at 100% full?

Lord knows we want to keep filling the database for as long as possible but I would hate skipping downloads because they dont include states that I travel to.

Default Re: GX-65 Database Capacity Size

Quote Originally Posted by CactusMan View Post
    We get weekly downloads of speed cam locations addiitions of udates of speed trap information, etc and in my case I will be getting 3 years of weekly dowloads due to the fact that I have the 2yr extended warranty.

These downloads consist of maybe 234 KB or maybe 256 KB- I skipped installing the last download because it did not contain any information in any of the states I go to.

In 3 years one can download 1/week for 52 weeks x 3 years adds up to approximately 624 downloads. (4/month)

The owner's manual says that the owner will be warned when the database catagory approaches 80% full- what you do after that is up in the air to me - download till you reach 100% capacity and then what do you do after that to keep your GX-65 up to date?

Any way a long way around to get to my question which is how long do you think of weekly updates of say 236-256 KBs each do you think it would take to reach the 80% warning and how long until the Gx-65 is at 100% full?

Lord knows we want to keep filling the database for as long as possible but I would hate skipping downloads because they dont include states that I travel to.
    Fortunately, the database updates always are cumulative. Each database update overwrites the existing database within the GX65, yet merges any RLC and speed camera data which you have manually created with the mark location feature with the database. The GX65 has enough memory for the database plus several thousand manually added camera and TrueLock locations.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusMan View Post

Fortunately, the database updates always are cumulative. Each database update overwrites the existing database within the GX65, yet merges any RLC and speed camera data which you have manually created with the mark location feature with the database. The GX65 has enough memory for the database plus several thousand manually added camera and TrueLock locations.
    Thanks Mem- I was reading on page 18 of the owner's manual that "The GX65 has plenty of built in memory to store thousands of locations. In the rate care that the database would become 80% full, a message would appear to let you know you're reaching its limit."

I assume that means the database downloads + the manually created marked locations.

The actual RLC/Speed Camera database hasn't grown much in size. The only way you will get the 80% full message is if you mark several thousands of other locations.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK View Post
    The actual RLC/Speed Camera database hasn't grown much in size. The only way you will get the 80% full message is if you mark several thousands of other locations.
    Bless your heart.