Newcomer

Default problem with sti false alerts

Hi, my sti driver is acting weird for few days.. yesterday i noticed it was falsing x band where there is none (ex: i turn it on in front of my house where there is no bands and it started alerting and never stops until i turn it off) my 9500i never had false x in front of my house... and today he does the same thing but with ka band this time..

my car is a subaru sti and only thing i've done to my car is ipod interface install.. and btw dunno if its related but my gps in my car shows me like 200 KMs away from my real location.. i didn't notice if the 2 problems started simultaneously

Did any1 have similar issues? do you guys think its defective or is it something with my car?

Old Timer

Default Re: problem with sti false alerts

I believe random falses on X band were somehow caused by verizon cell phone interference...maybe? but the Ka is def a problem...u need to send that in

Newcomer

aright, thanks a lot.. btw i dont think we got verizon here in quebec so the unit is probably defective =/

Mike B can explain it better, but 700MHz cell phones can generate high order harmonics which extend into X band, causing X band falsing. Other electronics devices could possibly do this as well. Best thing to do is test the STi in another vehicle. If it doesn't false in the other vehicle, then you have to look at whatever electronics are installed/used in the original vehicle and possibly a flaky power connection for the STi when in the original vehicle.

Good Citizen

Extreme temperatures will produce falses similar to what you are describing... Not sure where you live, but one STI user's K band would alert for 15 minutes after power on because the ambient temp was quite cold...

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ub1134 View Post
    Extreme temperatures will produce falses similar to what you are describing... Not sure where you live, but one STI user's K band would alert for 15 minutes after power on because the ambient temp was quite cold...
    This is true. i saw it a few times when i owned some cobras. maybe it was just the bad detector.. lol

ALSO, as a heads up, very bright sunlight CAN false a laser from time to time. so if you are lasered in your driveway of in a parking lot, youll know why

Quote Originally Posted by ub1134 View Post
    Yes, but that STi shouldn't have falsed like that when it was really cold. I have powered up my STi and 9500ci when both were below freezing and they didn't false like that.

Newcomer

its actually been working fine for few days now, no more of these long falses and picked up few real ka's.. weird. wonder if i should still contact beltronics

Radar Fanatic

You could also try a factory reset.