Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default What's wrong with my RX-65???

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and hope you guys can help me out.

Just bought a new RX-65 after a speeding ticket. Use it for a week or so, what i found out is my RX-65 seem not working right!

This unit keep alert me for X and K band when I drive around the city. It alert me of POP, Ka, Ku band but I did not see any sign of cop for several times. When I drove by a cop shooting me with Laser/radar gun. It quiet. This happened twice and make me wonder why???

So, what's wrong with my RX-65? I've changed all the setting and read a lot of post in this forum but still can't find a solution. Anyone have idea? I'm thinking to ebay it to get a x50 soon.

By the way, I live in Atlanta, GA.

Any hint or tips or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Professional

Are you SURE the officer was tagging you? Remember, it's a RADAR detector, not a COP detector. Just because he's sitting on the side of the road doesn't mean he's measuring speed--I've seen them sitting there reading the newspaper or eating their lunch out on the highways.

X and K band hits in the city are very often door openers on buildings. Just flip your detector into City or Auto mode and that should help you out a lot. Go ahead and turn Ku off--no one uses it in America--and consider doing the same for POP. It's not worth the headaches.

As for Ka-band, it could be that you live in a city heavily populated by Crapras and Unidungs. It could be that there are actually police out there shooting Ka--I've been in Atlanta many times when I lived out east, and cops there do seem to enjoy parking in alleys and side streets running Ka more frequently than in a lot of other major cities. Also keep in mind the range that the RX-65 offers--they may be legitimate Ka hits from a mile or more away, and you never actually do see the source. I've gotten hits like that with my X50, but because I know the area, I know police are there.

The easiest way to gauge if there's something wrong with your detector or not is just to take a nice drive out into the country, away from potential sources of falsing. If you're still getting false hits, then there's something wrong. If not, it's just a consequence of living in a big city. Turning X, Ku, and POP off will dramatically reduce your falsing (make absolutely sure no one uses X-band anywhere near you before doing this--I'm not sure about Georgia's rules), and you won't sacrifice much in terms of protection.

If you're still convinced that your detector is screwed, don't put it on eBay! Call Bel, and if you're still under warranty, they'll take a look at it for free, maybe even replace it if it really is messed up.

Advanced Member

Whats wrong with your RX65? Probably nothing

New users often post this question thinking that police are much more active checking speed than they really are.

Laser is Very precise and your Rd will only alert if he's shooting at you specifically

Newcomer

Thanks for hints. But i'm pretty sure the cop is shooting at me. Because I purposely drive passed the cop for 3 times, and he got someone for speeding the 3rd time. As my RX-65 still quiet.

I already turn off my X and K band. I will try to turn off Ku and Pop and use it for another week. I will try call bel and the seller to see they can help or exchange.

Again. Thanks.

Newcomer

By the way, I just came back from a 4-hour trip. It keep falsing...I'll say about 80% rate. Only 1 time it got it right. Hmm... I better not to use it. Can't rely on this thing. Must drive slow....

Radar Fanatic

Try these settings

X off
    K on
    Ka INTL
    POP off
    Ku off
    Laser on
    Automute on

Advanced Member

I might turn Ka to USA to limit Ka falses

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by mokcl
    Thanks for hints. But i'm pretty sure the cop is shooting at me. Because I purposely drive passed the cop for 3 times, and he got someone for speeding the 3rd time. As my RX-65 still quiet.

I already turn off my X and K band. I will try to turn off Ku and Pop and use it for another week. I will try call bel and the seller to see they can help or exchange.

Again. Thanks.
    Again it depends. Laser on a tripod the cop will be sighting at you like a gun. He may be able to make a visual determination that you're not speeding so he doesn't bother activating his gun.

I've heard of too many stories of people blowing through speed traps at crazy speeds and nothing happens to worry about one occasion. And yeah to POP mode will sound all kinds of falses as the RX65 picks up crap detectors.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    Actually most people report more Ka falses in USA mode...
    I get WAAAY more falses with Ka set to USA than I do when it is set to INTL. However, I also get substantially more warning to real Ka. I can normally spot the falses pretty easily since I run the tech mode display, but it could still be annoying. Sometimes I do switch back to INTL when i'm in heavy traffic to cut the falses down.