Good Citizen

Default Bel STi stealth install idea

Just came to my mind that it'd be great to place a RD to the back window of the car, very high, just below the brake light. It'd be facing forward and "see" through the front window very well. It'd also get the rear signal without a problem and would not be visible from the outside.

For sure that kind of install would reguire a kill switch as it'd be impossible to switch off the unit in any other way because it would be out of reach. There's one more thing which is not so good: Getting that small control unit with LEDs and MUTE button to the front end of the car would be impossible because of too short wire

What do you think, would the unit work fine and would it really be stealth? Has anyone tried that kind of install before?

Here's an example pic:
    Last edited by djrams80; 10-11-2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Picture was gargantuous!

Default Re: Bel STi stealth install idea

Quote Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
    Just came to my mind that it'd be great to place a RD to the back window of the car, very high, just below the brake light. It'd be facing forward and "see" through the front window very well. It'd also get the rear signal without a problem and would not be visible from the outside.

For sure that kind of install would reguire a kill switch as it'd be impossible to switch off the unit in any other way because it would be out of reach. There's one more thing which is not so good: Getting that small control unit with LEDs and MUTE button to the front end of the car would be impossible because of too short wire

What do you think, would the unit work fine and would it really be stealth? Has anyone tried that kind of install before?

Here's an example pic:
    Ouf ....looks so cold , it remembers me it will be like in few weeks

Your idea is very good , the sti will respond same as if it was on the dash .

You definitively need a stealth install since I heard the fines are
    astronomical for rd use

Those are suggestions :

You can use the dome light as a source to do the kill switch :
    you tap the + to actionate a small relay that will cut the power
    to the sti . If needed to kill it = just put the curtesy lights on.

Are you familiar with car electricity ?

You remove the cover of the dome light housing , there you will
    find the ground and the + . You tap the ground to supply one side
    of the relay (some are polarity dependent ,some not).
    Then you tap the + for the other side of the relay.

Now you use the relay to either cut the ground or the + ,
    it does not matter , I prefer cutting the ground = it avoids
    unintentional shortcut .

Do not use the supplied coiled power cord. It is easier to use
    a home made power cord = find the right positions for the wires
    + - , find a good telephone wire 2 conductors .
    You will run the ground and the + off the relay to the sti
    choosing the most natural route by inserting the phone
    wire inside the edges of the finition....stealth !

Dome light off = sti has power .
    Dome light on = sti is dead.

If something is not clear ...just ask for more ....
    O divine art of subtlety and secrecy!
    Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible;
    and hence hold the enemy's fate in our hands.

-- Sun Tzu, The Art of War, c. 500bc

Good Citizen

Thanks for your support Eloi, I think everything you explained is clear now. Anyway we'll probably do the install with my friend as I am not a pro when talking about car electronics, not even close to pro!

Yeapp the fines are pretty high, but it also depends on how much you earn and if you have kids. For example:

No children, no work (incomes = 0€/month) - fine 120€
    No children, working (incomes = 3000€/month) - fine 900€
    2 children, working (incomes = 3000€/month) - fine 780€

This is according police's fine counter which is placed on their website. You can count how much will you have to pay for doing different things wrong when you're driving

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

Thanks for your support Eloi, I think everything you explained is clear now. Anyway we'll probably do the install with my friend as I am not a pro when talking about car electronics, not even close to pro!

Yeapp the fines are pretty high, but it also depends on how much you earn and if you have kids. For example:

No children, no work (incomes = 0€/month) - fine 120€
    No children, working (incomes = 3000€/month) - fine 900€
    2 children, working (incomes = 3000€/month) - fine 780€

This is according police's fine counter which is placed on their website. You can count how much will you have to pay for doing different things wrong when you're driving
    Nearly 1/3 your monthly income? They aren't screwing around. Does that include confiscation of the device?

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by supercowpowers View Post
    Nearly 1/3 your monthly income? They aren't screwing around. Does that include confiscation of the device?
    Yes. That's why it's better to think very well where to install the device!

Quote Originally Posted by supercowpowers View Post
    Yes. That's why it's better to think very well where to install the device!
    I assume they use RDD .

The next thing to watch is your behavior ...

Do they spot check if you apply the brake when
    they shoot radar in your back ?

I wonder if they have to proove in court , if unit seized ,
    that the box is a really rd ?

In fact the box could be anything but a rd ...
    Im still looking for a way to ''kill'' the unit
    ''à la JamesBond'' ...then recussitate after
    scrutiny
    O divine art of subtlety and secrecy!
    Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible;
    and hence hold the enemy's fate in our hands.

-- Sun Tzu, The Art of War, c. 500bc

Good Citizen

Yes, they are using RDDs, but as Bel STi Driver doesn't leak, no worries. Also, detectors are really rare in here, so LEOs don't really inspect drivers/their vehicles from that point of view. I mean if you act suspicious they don't think "hmm maybe he has a RD", they think "hmm maybe he's drunk or the car is stolen". Of course if they see a RD in the car, most policemen will probably notice it's a RD and will confiscate it.
    They are not shooting with radars from the back quite often. Usually they have instant-on Stalker Duals. This is very handy when using a RD, as it makes you able to notice police car driving behind you (which is difficult without a RD, especially by night) and won't for example start passing a car driving in front of you if it'll require increasing speed above the limit.
    About the brakes: if you'll brake as soon as you'll get the warning from an RD and LEO will notice it, he may suspect something, but you can always say that you saw a squirrel on the road If he won't find a RD, you won't get caught. I bet usually they don't even think that people who brake as soon as they've being "shot" are using RD, because they are so so rare devices here. It's totally different as in the US. Cops don't see every driver as a potential RD user

I don't know about do they have to prove anything or not if they'll find a RD. I think they don't have to do that, they just take it away and give you a ticket. You are able to complain about their decision with a letter and then someone (boss of the LEOs) will contact you and discuss the thing. If you'll sue them, then it has to be handled in court. But surely they'll be able to prove that it's a RD if it really is. So no point in that really.