Here's what happened to us yesterday in Ontario:
- On our way back from TO (to Quebec), we passed an OPP officer using K-band.
- Bel STI Driver alerted me far in advance, which was great, but when we passed the cop, he left his little 'U-turn' area and started to follow.
- When he started to follow, we unplugged the device from the cig. lighter.
- After about 2 minutes of following, he pulled up ahead of us.
- At the next 'U-turn' area, we found him stopped there, but when we passed, he pulled back up behind us and drove behind for a few KM before stopping at another U-turn area.
He did NOT stop us, but he was clearly extremely suspicious. We were two cars following each other, both with walky talkies communicating with each other, even during this little 'incident'
Now, the way I see it, the possibilities are as follows:
1- We were driving too low above the limit for it to have been believable for him (110KMish in a 100 zone, when he passed him, driving in luxury cars).
2- The walkie talkies (Motorola Talkabouts or something, old blue model) were picked up between our cars -- is this possible?
3- Least likely (unless someone tells me otherwise): The STI Driver got detected until we unplugged the power from the unit, at which point he couldn't tell which of the cars had the unit and he didn't want to risk stopping the wrong car.
My question is, can the STI Driver now be picked up by OPP using Spectre RDD (or anything else?) Basically, is this unit completely worthless now, or was this an isolated incident?
I bought the Bel STI Driver, but never ever use the thing; I decided to this long weekend because I figured there would be cops out in full force (which there actually weren't except for this one cop).
Any help/information would be greatly appreciated!