Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default bel 990 international problem

can anyone shed some light on this problem
    on turning on the unit it goes through start up routine,then the unit starts flashing & beeping with the following text,

?L01 CAL

what does this mean?
    the unit was ok for the first 2days untill i started to play with the settings without a manual (typical bloke thing) but i have now downloaded one but there is no help regarding this.
    i can't seem to get this to stop no matter what i do
    can anybody help, i was thinking of resetting the unit to factory default to see if it stopped it, i have just bought it second hand with a 3 month warranty as it is a reconditioned unit. i dont realy want to re set it, as it resets with north american settings, but i live in the UK. :?

Good Citizen

Same thing happened to me with used (bought from ebay) Target Bel 550 v4.2. I checked the version, then I reseted the detector and tried to set the frequencies. I live in Greece, so we choose UK settings and add the extra frequencies by hand. I chose Ka Narrow band and then ticked the 3 frequencies. Then, I pressed PWR to finish the procedure and turned off the detector and back on so the setting would be activated. During the start up self test, and when the detector tried to check the Ka band, I had the same message.
    This message, I imagine, means that the Local Oscillator (LO) can't calibrate the frequency so it can't reproduce some of the other frequencies used by the detector. The LO works in a frequency much lower than the bands the detector detects, so, it's kind of the way Processors and Buses work in computers. Let's say we multiply a frequency by a certain number, then we have a much higher frequency (if the LO used 10GHz, then multiply by 3-4 and you have a 30-40GHz band scanned by the detector). The problem is that if we don't have a steady LO, then we definitely won't have fixed bands, especially in Ka Narrow, where we want 3 certain parts of the Ka band scanned all the time (for the multanova 6F cameras used in Europe etc).
    The explanation is not correct scientifically of course, and if a professor of mine could read this then he would have taken back my diploma, but it's usefull to understand what's going on more or less.
    I solved the problem doing 2 things. First reset the detector to it's factory default and see if there is still the same problem (probably not as the N. America setting scans the whole Ka band so the problem of the uncalibrated LO is not so big). Then, try to choose again UK as the country, tick the frequencies (the Ka narrow is the important one) and see if it's there again. Try to turn on and off the detector some times. It's possible that the problem would disappear by itself even with this procedure, without reseting the detector.
    I know that my 550 works just fine right now. At least in detecting doors, some speed signs and some Gatso cameras. As for the multanovas, I don't know, as we don't have them here in Greece and the Ka narrow is used as a precaution !!!

Now, how to set your detector.

1. Reset to factory default. Turn on the detector.
    2. Press CTY and hold it until you see the country you want (UK).
    3. Release the button, turn on and off the detector. See if everything is allright (look carefully at the self test).
    4. Turn off the detector. Press and hold the CTY button and turn on the detector. You' ll see the frequencies starting from X flashing. Using CTY you go forward (think of it as an arrow). Using DRK you go backwards (back arrow). Using AUD you select or unselect frequencies.
    5. Lets say you want to select K, Ka Narrow (all 3 bands). By starting the previous procedure you see X band flashing. You press CTY (next) until you see K band. If you see a V beside the band (with UK it's factory selected) it's selected. Press CTY (next) until you see Ka band Narrow flashing. If you press AUD you'll see Ka wide flashing. DON'T choose Ka wide for Europe. Choose Ka Narrow and press CTY (next). Then you'll see one by one the 3 sub-bands of Ka band. Press AUD for the first one, then CTY and you'll see the 2nd one etc. When finished, you must choose if you want or not voice or only Beeps on every detected signal, if you want fast or slow scroll on the screen etc. After you have finished, press PWR to finish the frequency setting and exit the procedure. Turn the detector off and then back on. If you see the same problem with Ka again (LO CAL) then your detector needs definitely service from Target Bel.

I hope I helped you a little. Thnx for your time.

PS1. For UK you should choose K, Ka Narrow and Ku band. K for fixed Gatso cameras and cameras inside moving police vehicles, Ka for multanovas (I believe there are no multanovas in UK but it's a precaution), and Ku for mini-Gatsos (they also use K band for these).

PS2. If anyone knows exactly what's going on with the detector, as my electronics are not so good after all these years, plz educate us as I want to know what to do with my detector as well.

Newcomer

Default pipinos

thanks for your reply
    i will print out your reply, and try it out on monday during my lunch break to see how i get on.

Update; Tried to reset it, that did not work.
    so i changed the settings turned off X band alltogether, changed KA S,wide, to KA Narrow. BINGO THAT WORKED,
    Not had chance to try it out yet, as i cleaned the lighter socket out as there was a bad contact, like an idiot i used a screwdriver with some emry cloth and arced it out and blew a fuse. could not find blown fuse in fusebox, so i had to wait till i got home to look in the manual, guess what my car has 2 fuseboxes,the other behind the dashboard, so that is a job for tomorrow.

Many thanks Pipinos

regards
    steve.

PS: do you know which bands i need on for the UK?

Default UK bands Help

Hi guys,

Wondering if you could help? I have the beltronics 550 here in the UK too. In the manual it says to select Ka broad(swide) band for the UK but Ka Narrow for everywhere else in the Europe.
    But when I select UK MODE the following are active:
    X bands off
    Ku 13.45 tick
    K24.125 tick
    K24.150 off
    Ka Narrow
    Ka 34.00 off
    Ka 34.30 off
    Ka 34.70 off

Shouldnt the UK have all Ka bands active and should I after selecting UK change Ka Narrow to Ka wide?
    The up to date manual on the website says the same. Dont want to be making the mistake of turning off the wrong bands!

Any help appreciated.

Dan

Lead Foot

Somebody correct if I'm wrong but I believe there is no Ka band radars in UK, so that is the correct configuration.

Ka band in narrow with all the selecetable freqs in OFF, basically turning all Ka Band OFF (Superwide, 34.0, 34.3 and 34.7 OFF).

Then the K-band in 24,125Ghz ON since that is the European K band (the 24,150GHz is the North American one) and the Ku band ON as well, since thats basically the radars you have in UK... GATSOs (K) and Mini-GATSOs (Ku).

X-band OFF of course.

Thanks Carlos.
    Any ideas what the upgrade for the bel550 euro is?

Lead Foot

Upgrade for the Bel550? I didn't understand what you mean.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by bmwstuff
    Thanks Carlos.
    Any ideas what the upgrade for the bel550 euro is?
    The international 990 is meant for the traveler. The Beltarget 550 is setup for the european market with of coarse adjustable features, freq specific, the 990 has the same but also includes the US. Its not an "upgrade" it is more region specific. My .02

Lead Foot

The Bel990I was actually the predecesor to the Bel550, the Bel990I is not sold anymore (although there may be some stock left around), and was substituted by the Bel550.
    The Bel990's features and bands are the same as the Bel550 (they both have exactly the same selectable frecuencies; 3 X-bands, 2 K-bands, Ku-Band, 3 Ka narrow Bands and Supewde Ka), but the Bel550 has some new features like pre-configured 12 European country setups for an easy configuration.

Default thanks

thanks guys that extremely helpful, can leave it on full uk mode now.

Cheers.
    Dan