Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Newcomer

Cool, I was afraid I might have been a victim of another ebay scam. It seems to work pretty well, as I said I drive in town mostly, and am getting aquainted with the different radar bands/warnings. Hopefully I will be able to customize it in the near future. This board has already been a wealth of knowledge, I will report on my findings as I experience more radar.
    Thanks,
    Myles

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by davekr
    When I had the RX 65 had it mounted mid windshied, yes level, no not obstructed in a mustang cobra. Never, even with speed signs would it go past 6 on the counter. NEVER.

One time a ISP anus used KA instant on driving the opposite way on a 2 lane highway and it went to 4. He was maybe 1/4 mile away from me.

It did always give me laser alerts when I was shot though. I will give it that.
    Davekr, you definitely had a defective unit if it detected laser well. I swear mine has cataracts when it comes to laser. Also, buying from ebay is always a bad idea.....a lot of repackaging going on. My RX65 always goes to full alert on K band signs and against Ka instant on (version 4.5).

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by burner42
    Hey All,
    I am a board newbie here and have been following some of these posts concerning the RX65. I just purchased one 3 weeks ago off ebay. I hope I did not make a mistake! It was advertised as new, came in the original plastic wrapped box with all papers and parts. I use it in the city mostly, and use the Autoscan mode. I get alot of K, KA alarms at about 3 bars max but never see any LEO in the area. Any suggestions for driving in the Dallas, TX area as far as custom settings?
    I purchased the radar from ktel6547 (ebay seller, perfect feedback), I paid $219.00 for it and he offered a 3 year warranty for an additional $28.99 (I passed on the warranty). Anyone have any info on this seller?
    I will continue to read and post as I would like to get maximum usage from my radar and keep abreast of future upgrades etc...
    Thanks,
    Myles
    That is who I got my RX 65 from!!

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Limited Atonement
    ...would like to hear more input.
    I would have to say that it does not sound that it is giving you great performance, if I had it I would be disapointed too. In addition having a older Bel985, your performance sound out right horrible.

Update on RX65 Shortly after I wrote my initial comment I sent my RX65 back and received my new one about 2 weeks later and the performance is outstanding. As I stated earlier I drive about 105 miles a day and with road construction I pass a least 2 LEO each day. Here is some real world performance.

K band
    A straight road with two (about 15 degrees) hills I picked up a leo at 1 mile.
    I pass a road side speed indicator everyday on my way to work and I pick it up about 1.3 miles (one hill 25 degrees) before it. On the way home same speed indicator .6 to .8 miles this is rear detection!

KA band
    I've had a multitude of encounters here are some real world numbers.
    A straight road no hills 1.7 to 2 miles (best performance so far)!

60-70 degrees curve very wooded area .8 miles 55mph speed zone (I was driving 70 mph no ticket )

Speed trap LEO side of the road 45 mph speed zone pick him up at .6 miles in a wooded area around a 50 degree curve and over a small hill (I was driving 55 mph no ticket )
    In each of these cases i had plenty of time before encountering the LEO.

All the above is with the default settings. Tomorrow I will start testing with the US mode in the KA band. I would recommend this unit to everyone. Thanks to all for the feed back.

My problems with the defective RX65
    xband and kband didn't see much difference in the performance. KAband performance was very poor (sucked). I had a lot of falses on the laser at least 3-4 falses a day. 1-2 POP falses a day.

The new unit to this day No laser or POP falses. A matter fact I have not had a False. I do not count CVS stores as a false it is picking up a true k band signal.

Speed Demon

Glad to hear that you are having success with your new unit.

ES13Raven

Update on RX65 Shortly after I wrote my initial comment I sent my RX65 back and received my new one about 2 weeks later and the performance is outstanding.
    The new unit to this day No laser or POP falses. A matter fact I have not had a False.
    Good to hear...

Sounds like the performance I am getting out of my RX65.

I think the people who are experiencing low Ka range with the X50 should return theirs for a new one like you did. Sometimes there can be bad batches I guess.

Good Citizen

Very good to hear...I love my RX65 as well and I don't think you can go wrong with your choice!! Congrats

Power User

KA band
    I've had a multitude of encounters here are some real world numbers.
    A straight road no hills 1.7 to 2 miles (best performance so far)!

:shock:

I envy you. I am always hearing people getting up to these maximum ranges. It is good to know, with hopefully even more improved detection for the new STi, just think of the continued improvement what we will have in another 2-3 more years. I dream of great Ka detection (and what falses? there is none) and a AL6 aka Laser Defender jammer, I am in heaven.

I think many people don’t realize that most of the times the advantage works in the drivers favor (that is if he has a laser jammer, Veil and one of the big three radar detectors). There is always an exception, instant on radar because there is no legal radar jammer to date.
    Why is this?
    1) Flat straight roads-A radar detector has only to detect a signal, LEO radar has to send a signal reflected off a particular vehicle and process it (heavy traffic makes it harder to determine an individual vehicle).
    2) In hilly areas- Where many drivers feel it is a disadvantage, this is not totally true, the cosign effect comes in to play, advantage driver.
    3) Heavy fog –reduces the range for both parties, goes back to point 1 noted above.
    4) Low heavy cloudy days- Radar bounces off the low clouds giving greater detection range for the driver.
    5) Laser can be legally jammed and with great products like Veil; advantage driver.
    6) Curved roads- LEO Radar waves diverge as much as 9 to 29 degrees over a half mile the radar wave can scatter as wide as 400 feet to a ¼ of a mile.
    I’m not saying that if you have all the best counter measure equipment you will never get a ticket. But for those who do have this equipment the odds are definitely in their favor, most of all if they drive smart.