Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My Speculation on BEL STi Driver Radar/Laser Detector

Anyone care to comment on this possibility?

In order to make the units completely stealth to all current Radar Detector Detectors, the technology used by Bel makes the unit unable to receive police radar within the KU Band?

I guess in New Zealand we will be lucky on this model. To make it completely stealth, the KU band detection has been abandoned.

Given that Radar Detectors are legal to use in all situations in New Zealand, we didnt require the stealth capabilities this new unit provides.

Unfortunately, the introduction of this unit, and the phasing out of previous units may give the NZ Police an excellent opportunity to make use of the KU band in the future.

Power User

hmm..see your point but the detector is aimed at markets where it is illegal to use detectors. Why do you think it will be released in Australia b4 the USA and Europe

Yoda of Radar

I do not see how this really would impact you... If RD's are legal you have a detector (RX65) that can detect Ku if it comes into play in your area heavily. It would be a rather moot point to buy the STI (because right now the main appeal is its ability to not be detected by Spectre in areas RD's are illegal). Unless the RD comes out with tests showing it has a clear superoirity in range over the current top dogs, I do not see why you would buy it.

EDIT: (Stalker you beat me to the punch)

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore
    haah sorry

Default Performance

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore
    I do not see how this really would impact you... If RD's are legal you have a detector (RX65) that can detect Ku if it comes into play in your area heavily. It would be a rather moot point to buy the STI (because right now the main appeal is its ability to not be detected by Spectre in areas RD's are illegal). Unless the RD comes out with tests showing it has a clear superoirity in range over the current top dogs, I do not see why you would buy it.

I can not wait to see the performance of this unit, I can see they have not pushed any information about improvements to false alert management. I would like to see a unit from a manufacturer which incorporates GPS to reduce falsing on commonly taken routes. Uniden had the guts to do it, but unfortunately the Radar Detection was rats.

Administrator

Default 1st Release

hmm..see your point but the detector is aimed at markets where it is illegal to use detectors. Why do you think it will be released in Australia b4 the USA and Europe
    It is (was) to be released in AU and Holland PRIOR to the release in the USA
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Advanced Member

KU-band

Yeah that won't come into effect for years, if we are lucky...Police agentcies now how easily Ku can be detected so that won't get off the ground

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Good Citizen

Default Re: 1st Release

Quote Originally Posted by RadarRoy
    It is (was) to be released in AU and Holland PRIOR to the release in the USA
    when will it be available

Newcomer

Default Re: My Speculation on BEL STi Driver Radar/Laser Detector

Quote Originally Posted by Pickled Hamster
    Unfortunately, the introduction of this unit, and the phasing out of previous units may give the NZ Police an excellent opportunity to make use of the KU band in the future.
    What makes you think there would be a phasing out of previous units? The STi appears to be a premium detector aimed at markets where a stealth RD is preferable. There's no way folks with Cobras and Unidens would abandon their low-priced units for something costing many times more.

Also, I can't see NZ highway patrol going to Ku, which is almost as easily detected as X-band on a Ku-equipped RD. IMHO, they're far more likely to invest in more cameras, as they require only civilian operators and pay for themselves very quickly.