Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bel 895

Default Bel 895

Hello,

I have never purchased a radar detector and am new to them. I'm an 18 year old from Baton Rouge and since hurricane Katrina traffic rates went up so cops decided to set more speed traps up and i got 2 tickets in the last month. This means its time to get a radar detector. I've been looking at this board for ideas and saw that no one mentioned the Bel 895 that i saw at radio shack for $199. It seems like this is the same as the 985 but im not sure like i said im new to them. The only feature i noticed is that it doesn't detect K-band POP. Is this a reason not to buy this radar? Is it a good one to buy if i dont want to spend over 200? Thanks for any help.

Power User

This detector did really good on speedzones.com test. I was going to bring this detector to the GOL test back in August, but the Radio Shacks I went to did not have them in stock. It seems to be just as good as the high end Bel's without all the features. It is not the same detector as the 985. The 985 is an older detector that used to be Bel's highend model years ago.

Professional

only thing i want to say is the bel vector 895 does fasle alot when in PoP mode so if your someone like me thats hates alot of PoP FASLE ALERTS than dont buy it. but then again try it out if you dont like it get your money back!.
    the range is very good on it but the PoP fasle alerts drove me nuts STUPIED cobras

Yoda of Radar

Have you looked at the 795? Read the thread on that....seems to be really good for the money. I thought about picking one up to try out.

I was just kinda worried about the 795 because on the radio shack description i noticed that it doesnt have any POP detection on it. It's 80 dollars compared to the 895's 200 dollars. Is the POP detection worth the 120 extra dollars?

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Juicemonkey
    I was just kinda worried about the 795 because on the radio shack description i noticed that it doesnt have any POP detection on it. It's 80 dollars compared to the 895's 200 dollars. Is the POP detection worth the 120 extra dollars?
    Honestly? No, not in my opinion. At that level of detector, all POP mode would alert you to is every other detector within a mile of your car.

Advanced Member

It isn't just the POP, the 895 is more sensitive on all bands.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    It isn't just the POP, the 895 is more sensitive on all bands.
    yes like you say JIM u are right the 895 has more range then the 795 at the most range i would get of the 795 was like .8miles from the front to 1 mile on every in counter with ka radar i have gotton with this unit no matter what gun it was and on the 895 i would get 1.5 miles to 1.7 to 2 miles at the most but never happen but yes the 895 has more range! :wink:

Advanced Member

The 795 is built on almost the same platform as the BEL Express models, while the 895 is more like the RX-65 and V995.

Jim

Professional

Well I just bought a BEL 895 off of Ebay for $80!!
    It will be interesting to see how this unit does compare to the 795.
    I know the 895 has more bells and whistles than the 795 but I hope it does as well with falsing as the 795 does.
    It will also be fun to see how it does against my Whistlers and the 2 V1's I own.
    Of course I can not forget my RMR Eclipse unit that I have as well. I am sure it will not beat that baby!! hahahahahahaahahah :roll: :wink: