Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gatso Vs Sti-R

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Gatso Vs Sti-R

Quote Originally Posted by Curti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by barryswanson View Post
    My antenna is mounted behind my bumper due to the fact the traffic nazi's where i'm from would tear you a new one if caught with a detector...
    I didn't know it was possible for an antenna to be placed behind or under a bumper with no clear view of the road ahead and still function.
    You can, but it is very risky and there are many rules that must be followed in order for it to work properly. The person that I personally consider to be the local expert on remote antenna mounting, MetalFlame, said this:

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/beltronics/51791-sti-r-behind-bumper-cover.html#post632600

Quote Originally Posted by MetalFlame View Post
    Remote receiver can be mounted behind plastic bumper or grille,without loosing detection,but plastic must be flat,not curved.
    Also,I don't know if this holds true for circular polarized radars,but horizontal grille slats reduce detection range more than vertical slats.

Avoid mounting behind:
    *bumper that's made from/with carbon fibers,Poly-Carbonate
    *things made with graphite,teflon,lead
    *metallic paint or old paints with lead
    *any metal objects
    *thick grilles

Some of the newer BMW models,AUDI's and VW's have have very "bad" bumpers,that don't pass Radar signals well.VAG cars have bumpers from PPP-EPDM which attenuate radar signals.

Bumpers made with/from PP,ABS+PET, ABS, ASA, EVA, PS will pass Radar signals.

Another VERY important thing is to ALWAYS mount radar receiver at least 2-3 inches behind the bumper or any other (plastic) obstacle.

Good Citizen

"Another VERY important thing is to ALWAYS mount radar receiver at least 2-3 inches behind the bumper or any other (plastic) obstacle."

In other words have an air gap between the antenna and the back of the bumper of 2-3 inches, Correct??

Does any one know what material the front of a C6 Corvette is made of?

I am not too concerned about it untill I travel north up to Ontario. The mounties up there don't like RD's.
    One good thing about having the antenna protected is it would basically keep it out of the weather. Too bad we can't hide LJ's like that!

Yoda of Radar

I am not too concerned about it untill I travel north up to Ontario. The mounties up there don't like RD's.
    One good thing about having the antenna protected is it would basically keep it out of the weather. Too bad we can't hide LJ's like that!
    There is absolutely no way a LEO would ever see your radar antenna at speed and it can't be detected via Spectre, so I think you're fine, even in areas where RDs are illegal. I certainly wouldn't risk performance for rarely needed stealth.

Professional

Would anyone happen to know what type of plastic a G8 pontiac bumper is made off?

Professional

Just came back from a drive after mounting sti-r vertical behind polypropolene bumper two inches away from flat surface with non metallic paint. Works better then it ever has. I encountered a mobile on Ka and gave me a lot more warning than before and over a hill! Yet to encounter gatso camera though. The reason for my vertical mount experiment. Another thing i found interesting is that its a lot more sensitive to automatic doors? I thought it was meant to give less falses mounted vertically?

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by barryswanson View Post
    Would anyone happen to know what type of plastic a G8 pontiac bumper is made off?
    I can only tell you that the front bumper of a C6 vette is a material known as RRIM. Guys on the Corvette forum have mounted the STi r bekind the bumper of Vetts and Cadillacs and are happy with it. I would think GM uses the same material on the fronst of all their late model cars.
    As DJRAMS80 points out some degree of effictiveness is sacrificed with a stealth installation.
    Are Gatso's used in the US?

Yoda of Radar

Are Gatso's used in the US?
    No, they are not used in the US, but are very common in Europe and many other countries. They look like this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dq_uCsTiKE[/ame]

Good Citizen

Fun video, I like the music too. I am suprised the guys on the scooter hung around. When I was young and pulled stunts like that we ran like hell!