Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Beltronics E795, Supports POP alert or not?

This is a continuation of my previous thread about the Whistler Pro-58.

I've read in various places on this forum that some say it support POP mode (radartest) and other people say they don't. I did a little bit of my own research and it wouldn't make any sense if it did support it.

Here's why...

http://www.beltronics.com/radardetectors.html

Express 795 - $80.00 ?????????? (Only listed @ RadioShack)
    Express 935 - $149.95
    Vector 955 - $199.95 *POP ALERT*

As you can see in their product list .. it starts off with the Vector 955 with POP alert which is $199.95. The E795 is a $120 less at RadioShack.

How can the E795 support POP alert when the Express 935 doesn't which is only $50 less than the Vector 955?

It's driving me insane since between the Whistler Pro-58, the only thing that's not letting me buy the Whistler right now (for $89) is the increase of "false alerts". The Bel E795 sounds perfect, but no one knows if it has POP alert?

At the same time, I'm surprised of the origin of all questioning of it since even the specifications on the Radioshack online website doesn't say anything about POP alert with the E795. Yet, some people say it does support it. AHHHHHH!!!

Advanced Member

Radartest might leave you to believe that it detects POP because of the way it the review is worded, however, it is actually talking about Ka radar.

boomerman called Beltronics and they told him that it alerts to POP, but he went through a lot of different phone operators to get that answer.

Nowhere in the advertising or on the box does it say that it detects pop mode. If it actually did, I would think this would be a major selling point.

The 795 is built on a platform similar to the Express 916, 926, and 936, and 822i models, none of which are advertised to detect POP.

Boomerman has offered to send his to the next Guys of LIDAR tests probably in January so we can finally bring this question to rest.

But here's my personal opinion: I definitely wouldn't buy this unit expecting any POP protection.

Jim

Speed Demon

With any RD your going to have false alarms. The more money you pay, the less falses you will get. I would say you should get the Whistler Pro 58. But also it all depends on what type or radar guns that the cops use in your area. I belive in some areas they dont use POP mode yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    But here's my personal opinion: I definitely wouldn't buy this unit expecting any POP protection.
    I really appreciate your response. Now if you were in my place and wanted the entire enchalada or close to it for under $100, would you then go with the Whistler Pro-58 instead? (already talked to Radar 4 Ever)

Newcomer

Default pop

i would wait and see if ku radar band comes out this spring.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Radar 4 Ever
    The more money you pay, the less falses you will get.
    Not really true. In general this may be a decent statement, but not true enough to pass it off as a fact.

(To the original poster)
    Why do you want pop detection so bad?
    Pop is a very very sparsly used in the US. (Even throughout most parts of the world it is sparsely used...as it is rather expensive and most LEO find instant on just as capable as pop). To give you the idea of how little it is used, the total of all pop capable guns in the US totals a fraction of 1%. So if you depending on where you live, this shouldnt be the premier thing you are worried about, especially in such cheap detectors.

Boomerman did call and they said it does detect pop, I also will be awaiting to results of the GOL test. I am thinking maybe it detects pop (coincidently) but is not built to effectively do so....so they dont market it as such (false advertising) because it may not be 100% effective.

Ku band is also very new and rather expensive to pick up in the US and it is very unlikely that the majority of LEnforcement in the US would to turn using this band despite the rumors. It is possible a gradual implimenting of this band could be seen, but I dont think by spring 06 it will be a completely different scene out there for us RD users.
    (I have talked to many NYST's & the feeling I have gotten is they have no intentions of leaving Ka band, except for an increase in laser.)

I currently am also testing the E795 for this site, and I find it to be the best detector I have ever seen for under 100bucks, I wouldnt trade in any of my higher end detectors for it, but now at 80 it is a steal. If you read Boomermans thread I believe overall he picked the E795 over the 58 in his opinion in the end in that shootout (I am not trying to put words in his mouth) but if you look at page 3 the very first post down at the bottom before "Summary" this is what I took out of it.

http://radardetector.net/viewtopic.p...r=asc&start=30

Jim I would be willing to send my E795 to you for testing also, it would take out the variable of coincidence or not. (If they do detect pop the detectors should be nearly 100% identical in their detection of, if it is coincidence [meaning they werent made to detect it but sometimes surpsingly do] they would probably be rather sporadic....one time mine detects pop well boomers doesnt, two other times boomermans detects it but not mine....that sorta thing).

Speed Demon

Why are Radar Detectors legal? If cops are pulling people over everyday for speeding, then why would they allow RD's to be used?

Professional

If POP is a big concern for you then buy the Whistler pro series because you know for sure that it does have POP protection.
    The original Bel 985 was not advertised to detect POP but it actually can.

Here is my thoughts on the POP issue on the 795, I think it can detect POP but I think part of Bel's agreement to sell these models to Radio Shack is that Radio Shack can not advertise that it does have POP.
    Nor does the manual say anything about it as well.

Think about this, the only difference between the Whistler PRO series and their regular line of detectors is the PRO series comes with a 2 year warranty where the other ones only have 1 year warranty.
    This gives retailers a choice of which model to sale and gives them a marketing advantage, but when it comes down to it, they are basicly the same detectors, just different for marketing only.

If the 795 was advertised that it did have POP for under $100 it would be hard for other retailers such as Roy to sell the low end bells for more money and not have POP.
    How would you explain to a customer that the bel 935 they are selling is more money than the 795 and it does not have POP?
    This is why some manufactures sell the same units with different model numbers to help the reseller compete.
    This gives them a model to sale that other stores/retailers do not sale.

When I called BEL I had to talk to several people to get an answer, some of the people I talked to did not even know about a model being sold exclusively at Radio Shack.

If you can hold out to Jan to see if GOL can test POP on the bel then I would wait that way we wil know for sure.
    But I would hate to see you wait and find out the Bel did have POP and it would no longer be on sale.

Advanced Member

I would be surprised if the original 985 alerted to POP at all, even in accusweep mode. I know there are test results out there that showed otherwise, however POP results from that source have generally proven to be less than reliable.

Jim

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    I would be surprised if the original 985 alerted to POP at all, even in accusweep mode. I know there are test results out there that showed otherwise, however POP results from that source have generally proven to be less than reliable.

Jim
    I may be incorrect in this statement but I thought you guys actually tested Outruns 985 detector for POP and while it did not alert to it everytime it did detect POP.
    If this is not correct then I apologize for the misunderstanding on my part .