Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    V1 Zombie

Default No Ku with the Sti why.

Outside of keeping the cost of the new unit on the planet. I ask myself why no Ku? Do any of you folk think it could be that they couldnt hide the Ku feq from the detector detectors?. I herd that the Ku ghz is really easy to detection almost the same as x band. It seems strange they didnt bother about it. Must be a good reason eh.

Old Timer

I believe the immunity to spectre blocks its KU band reception.

Advanced Member

Some have speculated that they might have reverted to an "older" frequency scheme for converting the incoming radar signals that does not support receiving Ku. If this is the case (a big IF until someone actually looks at one), they went from a 14-15 GHz 1st LO back to the 11 GHz 1st LO.

A first LO would sweep from 11.4-11.8 GHz. The 2nd LO would be fixed at about 1.034 GHz.

With these two oscillators configured as such, these are the ranges the detector would be physically capable of receiving:

10.366 - 12.834 GHz
    21.766 - 24.634 GHz
    32.166 - 35.434 GHz

So, why would they go with such a design? GHz1 might have hit the nail on the hear with his first sentence: "keeping the costs of the new unit on the planet". I don't think the ability to detect Ku had anything directly to do with making the unit RDD immune.

Jim

Power User

I thought that maybe they didn't include Ku is because this detector is for North America and Ku isn't used in North America. I would be surprised if Ku will ever be used in North America.

Radar Fanatic

At the same time, Bel has to realize that HUGE potential market for spectre-proof detectors outside of north america. Maybe they have separate plans to deal with it?

Advanced Member

I thought it was also being marketed in Australia? I know one Australian company is advertising that they will be available sometime mid-December.

Lead Foot

Like Sethy my first though was that the reason for no Ku was becuase they were filtering the LO noise and that meant blocking the Ku Band from coming in as well since they are similar (similar to the Flitzservice RDD filters for the 966/975), but I see that the STI picks up X-Band so that deosn't makes sense.

And what Jim explained to us makes a lot more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    At the same time, Bel has to realize that HUGE potential market for spectre-proof detectors outside of north america. Maybe they have separate plans to deal with it?
    If they would have realised that they would have made the STI with a selectable band as well, because the European countries in which they have RDD's, they don't use Superwide Ka, they use the 34,3GHz narrow Ka. So even if it picked up Ku Band, it would be useless against the more popular 34,3Ghz radars.
    Also, Ku-Band is going into disuse in Europe in favor of the 24,125GHz K-Band and 34,3GHz Ka-Band.

Part of it may be due to the exclusivety contract Bel has with Target for Europe. Maybe Target will launch a Euro modded STI for Europe, but I doubt it, they haven't bothered to upgrade a Bel detector in years.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    I thought it was also being marketed in Australia? I know one Australian company is advertising that they will be available sometime mid-December.
    I didn't think Ku was used in Australia? I don't know for sure though.

Advanced Member

Default Re: No Ku with the Sti why.

Quote Originally Posted by ghz1
    Outside of keeping the cost of the new unit on the planet. I ask myself why no Ku? Do any of you folk think it could be that they couldnt hide the Ku feq from the detector detectors?. I herd that the Ku ghz is really easy to detection almost the same as x band. It seems strange they didnt bother about it. Must be a good reason eh.
    No Ku radar gun is available and approved for use in the USA only X, K, Ka radar....There is no spectre proof radar detector that is mass produced.....From a business stand point it is better to make a detector that suits the current needs in some detector users.....Some detector users NEED a totally spectre proof RD.....and with no Ku-radar gun in canada or USA, why not go with a current need...spectre-proofing

Ku will turn into another SWS and be pointless

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96