Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Early Adopters; BEL STi Driver

So who here purchased the BEL as soon as it came out? Please post your opinions/reviews ASAP. Also who intends to buy the unit in short time?

Andrew G.

Good Citizen

I was actually thinking about making the jump myself. I was displeased with my X50; POP falses, reports of the Self-Cal and service required; made me a bit uneasy with my $300-something dollar purchase. So I question why I would want another BEL product, but I formerly owned an 8500 NON-X50 and that unit impressed the hell out of me. Seems to me that both BEL and V1 have had their share of problems since introducing POP.

The other thing you need to think about in regards to BEL is that if they took better care of their customers they would be more like an APPLE that puts out a new IPOD every 6 months or so. Minus the false (perceived by some) advertising about upgradeablity. Apple has never done anything like that imo. But if BEL had top notch service and reliability I don't think people would be making such a stink about them not being upgradeable.

In all honesty V1 seems to be more like Apple with in regards to customer service, maybe better than apple, because I dont know too many apples that are upgraded that often by the factory. Its most often a brand new unit, not an upgraded one. There are many dynamics to this argument, but I think you get the idea.

So I think I've narrowed it down to the V1 and the BEL STi Driver. I would like to buy from Roy, but if the unit doesnt live up to expectations I wouldn't want to return to Roy. So maybe I'll buy from BEL. Or maybe I'll get the V1.

Oh well I got off my own topic for a bit. So whos making the jump, I'm thinking about getting on the boat myself.

Yoda of Radar

V1 is a lot like Apple. Expensive and the owners are very brand loyal.

But Apples suck

Professional

Spectre invisibility means nothing to me, as RDs are legal everywhere I might even remotely need to drive through. Therefore, if I upgrade anytime soon, it'll be to the V1--but I'm probably not upgrading unless/until Ku hits the streets, and I don't see that happening ever in America.

Good Citizen

Its clear to me that you think Apples suck.

Ok well since noone bothered to repond to my query in another post I guess I will post it here about the STi, before I shell out 450 I would like some answers, I guess im jumping the gun a bit since noone has the unit yet; at least to my knowledge.
    -------------------------------------

Ok can you guys see any weaknesses in this new setup. I am hopeful that there will be no one real achilles heel. I would like better sensitivity from belscort, as well as better filtering. I want to be alerted to real POP 10/10ths of the time too.

I dont think the Multinovas are a real problem in the states yet, unless they start using them on the freeways, and the ACLU is all over camera ticketing methods, their claim is that its a violation of privacy rights, and RI recently was forced to do away with a their new speed enforcement vans equipped with cameras and a speed sign for ticketing purposes.

So my questions on this new unit boil down to this:
    1. Quality of laser performance and scrutiny/filtering? Hopefully Blistering!
    2. Quality of POP filtering and reception?
    3. Ability to detect quick very short bursts of radar and laser for POP and Stealth mode, this is a software issue to me, so hopefully the STi has taken care of both of these concerns.

Yoda of Radar

Personally I am considering the STI once I hear some solid reviews coming out.

Advanced Member

I'm participating in the pre buy cuz I'm not sure my RX65 is up to snuff and I'm tired of watching out for the Spectre man.

I dont have the angst some folks have with Bel just dont have the history with RDs so I'm fairly confident its going to perform as advertised. The Bel statements are pretty unequivocal.

Advanced Member

I will admit that I am considering buying an STI.
    But a few things are holding me back.

1) I want to see some HONEST tests that this things works as claimed.
    2) If it is UNDECTECTABLE is it a permanent fix, or will the Spectre simply be modified to detect it
    "a la" PNI and Cobra.
    3) My experiences with Bel and their LOUSY customer service.
    4) Arranging to "Smuggle" it into Canada.

Honestly I wish Mike Valentine would off his Fat Rich A$$ and Stealth the V1.....
    I'd rather give him my $ than Bel.

the horn13 wrote:-Honestly I wish Mike Valentine would off his Fat Rich A$$ and Stealth the V1.....
    Don't hold your breath!
    Unless there are more RD bans in the US I doubt Valentine will do anything or spend any of his precious money to develop a unit with no LO leakage. He is only interested in the US market, he refuses to ship anywhere else!

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by yaks1974
    the horn13 wrote:-Honestly I wish Mike Valentine would off his Fat Rich A$$ and Stealth the V1.....
    Don't hold your breath!
    Unless there are more RD bans in the US I doubt Valentine will do anything or spend any of his precious money to develop a unit with no LO leakage. He is only interested in the US market, he refuses to ship anywhere else!
    That point has been raised here but many feel Mike V wont tolerate being 2nd best to the STI if its senstivity surpasses V1