Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default Bel Express 795 on I-95

I have been testing this unit and am left unimpressed. On my way to the interstate, I was hit with some instant on and luckily saw the sheriff coming. On the way down I-95, there were three occasions where the troopers had left their ka band units on while citing the speeders. I could see the cars and at times be right on the trooper before getting an alert. Around town, this unit may be adequate, but for the open road V1 will be on my windshield. That dog can hunt!

Radar Fanatic

I think one of those mods for the 795 should be a HUGE extension to the horn. One of these days I'm going to get a cheap detector and try that.

Speed Demon

Default Re: Bel Express 795 on I-95

Quote Originally Posted by vw242
    I have been testing this unit and am left unimpressed. On my way to the interstate, I was hit with some instant on and luckily saw the sheriff coming. On the way down I-95, there were three occasions where the troopers had left their ka band units on while citing the speeders. I could see the cars and at times be right on the trooper before getting an alert. Around town, this unit may be adequate, but for the open road V1 will be on my windshield. That dog can hunt!
    I too have been testing this unit and I feel the same way you do VW242. There are several members in this forum that swear by this unit. I don't see what the hype is all about. I was looking for a backup unit for my RX65 but the E795 is definitely not fitting the bill. I have had similar experiences as you VW242 with the unit alerting while right on top of the LEO, and no it was not instant on. Our local LEO's leave their units on all the time and it has failed to impress me on both K and Ka. Other websites have praised this unit as being the best unit under $100. I have an old Bel 950 which is my friends that will give the E795 a smack down when it comes to performance. One of my complaints about this unit was it did not pick up the local falses like my RX65 at the CVS and Walgreens. Forum members that have and like this unit told me that this unit filters very well and is up there with the RX65 when it comes to filtering. I say BS. This thing aint filtering, it just does'nt see it. I have been testing this thing for almost 2 weeks and it has not done anything to the slightest to impress me at all. I am not expecting RX65 performance, but meet me half way for God's sake. Sorry, but this unit goes back to Radio Shack Monday. I guess I'll take that $80.00 and buy myself a Bushnell radar gun. Anybody know anything about the Bel 935 and how it performs? I need a backup unit. I have owned the Whistler Pro 73 and sold it, so please don't suggest that one. Thanks.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    I think one of those mods for the 795 should be a HUGE extension to the horn. One of these days I'm going to get a cheap detector and try that.
    Tell you what, tell me how to make a horn and I'll set it up with my Sensoro :wink:

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    Quote Originally Posted by brick
    Tell you what, tell me how to make a horn and I'll set it up with my Sensoro :wink:
    Hehe, end up with something like this:

Radar Fanatic

Bingo!

Speed Demon

Does anyone know how turning on the VG-2 alert function will affect the units ability to pick up alerts??

Power User

Holy $hit is that for real, give me that any day, traveling the turnpike I will know for miles that a trooper is up ahead. They seem to love constant Ka, god aI love that too.

8)

Yoda of Radar

I have always found decent warnings with this detector; honestly as I have stated before...

I will have to take pictures with the digital camera at the places I have gotten warnings and see if it is in check with what you guys recieve as far as distances and warnings. (I will post them on here...or link to my webshots page).

Speed Demon

On the return trip, encountered at least 4 LEO's using constant and instant on Ka. The V1 range was at least 4 times that of the BEL 795.