Default Bel 980 still a good RD?

I have had my 980 for about 3 years now. It has saved my @$$ so many times over the years. A couple months ago the speaker went out of it and I almost trashed it but decided to hang on to it. I just found speakers that will work in it today and placed an order for 2 of them. I will get it back to new condition once they arrive.

My real question is how does the 980 compare to a 8500 X50? Give me your honest oppinion because I just purchased the X50 yesterday and If the difference is minimal and I can get the speaker on my 980 working again then I will just return the X50. I also live in maryland if that means anything. I have only ever been tagged 1 time with laser in the years I have owned the 980 so I dont think maryland uses alot of laser. Mostly k and Ka and no POP to my knowledge.

This is also my first post!!!! Great forums!

Advanced Member

If POP is not an issue than the 980 is an excellent RD.
    It's useless against Laser.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.......

Quote Originally Posted by the horn13

So you feel the 980 is pretty comparable to the X50 except for the POP feature?

And thanks for the warm welcome

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro

And thanks for the warm welcome
    The 980 is an excellent RD and I would hang onto it. It is very good against instant-on radar.

GTO_04

Advanced Member

Absolutely..... :wink:

Absolutely..... :wink:
    Awsome!! If my new speaker fixes the sound issue then I will just return the X50 I got at best buy.

Good Citizen

How does the 990 international compare to the 980. Does the 990 have better laser. Is it as good on US band guns (990)?

Quote Originally Posted by RapidTransitSystem
    How does the 990 international compare to the 980. Does the 990 have better laser. Is it as good on US band guns (990)?

Well to be honest I really cant comment on that because I have never had my hands on one. If it is as good as my 980 has been then I would have to say its a great RD. Maybe somebody else here will have a better answer for you.

Experienced

still good, but you should update to rx 65 :wink:

Speed Demon

Default Re: Bel 980 still a good RD?

I have had my 980 for about 3 years now. It has saved my @$$ so many times over the years. A couple months ago the speaker went out of it and I almost trashed it but decided to hang on to it. I just found speakers that will work in it today and placed an order for 2 of them. I will get it back to new condition once they arrive.

My real question is how does the 980 compare to a 8500 X50? Give me your honest oppinion because I just purchased the X50 yesterday and If the difference is minimal and I can get the speaker on my 980 working again then I will just return the X50. I also live in maryland if that means anything. I have only ever been tagged 1 time with laser in the years I have owned the 980 so I dont think maryland uses alot of laser. Mostly k and Ka and no POP to my knowledge.

This is also my first post!!!! Great forums!
    I like the 980 for the most part but I still feel it falses more then I like to see in any detector but other then that it is a very good detector.