Good Citizen

Default Bel 990 correct settings (Perth - Western Australia)

Hello everyone. I came across this great forum and this is my first post.
    I have owned 3 radar detectors since 1994 when lived in the uk and have had a Bel 990 since moving to Western Australia (3 years ago).

Just got back from a long 6 hour drive and came across mobile radar (K band) where the 990 always performs well but also a Multinova and was almost at the 22 degrees picture taking angle when the 990 alarmed. Strange as sometimes I get good range on Multinovas and sometimes when I am very close to them.

Then I read on this forum about super Ka band takes longer to detect frequencies hence less range. I always had it set on Superwide band to get coverage as Ka hardly ever has false alarms and did not expect delay in detecting.

Have changed to narrow band and will have to find a speed camera to test now! :twisted:

The 990 has many features, can anyone tell me what settings are the best for Western Australia police's in car mobile radar (K) and Multinovas (Ka) :?:

Have a choice of either 2 modes
    (under North American Mode): -
    k Band (24.150 Ghz) on/off
    Super Wideband Ka (33.4-36.0Ghz) on/off
    AccuSweep (Ka Narrow detection) on/off

OR the detector can be in Travel Mode and have these options: -
    k Band (24.125 Ghz) on/off
    Ka Band (33.8 Ghz) on/off
    Ka Band (34.3 Ghz) on/off
    Ka Band (34.7 Ghz) on/off

Also, what if the multinova is slightly out of frequency, if I select a very narrow band, then could it have no alert at all?

Thanks for any help
    Matt

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Bel 990 correct settings

Quote Originally Posted by qwsoftware
    Hello everyone. I came across this great forum and this is my first post.
    I have owned 3 radar detectors since 1994 when lived in the uk and have had a Bel 990 since moving to Western Australia (3 years ago).

Just got back from a long 6 hour drive and came across mobile radar (K band) where the 990 always performs well but also a Multinova and was almost at the 22 degrees picture taking angle when the 990 alarmed. Strange as sometimes I get good range on Multinovas and sometimes when I am very close to them.

Then I read on this forum about super Ka band takes longer to detect frequencies hence less range. I always had it set on Superwide band to get coverage as Ka hardly ever has false alarms and did not expect delay in detecting.

Have changed to narrow band and will have to find a speed camera to test now! :twisted:

The 990 has many features, can anyone tell me what settings are the best for Western Australia police's in car mobile radar (K) and Multinovas (Ka) :?:

Have a choice of either 2 modes
    (under North American Mode): -
    Super Wideband Ka (33.4-36.0Ghz) on/off
    AccuSweep (Ka Narrow detection) on/off

OR the detector can be in Travel Mode and have these options: -
    k Band (24.125 Ghz) on/off
    Ka Band (33.8 Ghz) on/off
    Ka Band (34.3 Ghz) on/off
    Ka Band (34.7 Ghz) on/off

Also, what if the multinova is slightly out of frequency, if I select a very narrow band, then could it have no alert at all?

Thanks for any help
    Matt
    I'd say set both K bands on until you know for sure if only one is used. Multanova is at 34.3, so it would need to be on. I don't think you have any 33.8 Ka there, not sure about the 34.7. If the Travel mode is like the Accusweep setting, it will scan 100MHz on each side of the intended frequency to account for drift. This should be enough in all but the most extreme cases.