Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default STi's is not only immune it is a Spectre

Well i finally took my STi from North VA to NYC(over 200+ miles one way). I have to say i'm a bit disappointed. This is the same trip i've taken with my x50. I mean i've done over 10,000 miles with my x50 on this same trip. The main difference is the amount of Ka alerts or falses I got. To start off, i set the unit to highway, on threat mode and turned off POP.

I got a Ka3 alert within the first 5 miles. Then another Ka2 alert 5 miles later. An another Ka3 alert witin 10 miles. I received over 15 Ka2 or Ka3 alerts the entire trip almost every couple miles crossing 5 states. BUT, i did not see the LEO's to confirm it was indeed a real encounter. Granted is was night time but I saw 3 confirmed LEO's the entire trip. (1 in NJ and 2 in MD) I got really concerned when i got into NJ. The notorious X band State. Here's where it got interesting.

In NJ i got almost 6 of the over 15 Ka alerts. I'm thinking it must be instant on and i'm just not seeing the LEO. But does NJ have Ka. Then i saw a car behind me coming up fast, real fast probably doing over 100 MPH. It passed me then my STi alerts a KA alert as the car is parallel to me. (I noticed a detector glowing in the dark in his center dash) I give chase to see if it was indeed the other car's radar detector that gave me that Ka false in NJ. It took me a while to catch-up but when i did it happened again. I'm so disappointed. I drove the rest of the trip uneventful. The STi is not only immune to Spectre. It's a *BEEP* Spectre itself.

the one good thing is that STi picked up a K band toll booth alert much farther then i've ever did with my x50. So if the range is exceptional then thats great, but if Ka is the band that produces little Falses (so i heard) why did I get a Ka2 to ka3 False the entire trip? None of the Ka alerts (except maybe one in NJ) passed the Ka3 mark. So i either never closed in on the LEO or the Ka alerts were just other dectectors that i was passing. Is that common for a NON POP dectector to alert a KA alert from other RD? I'm returning to VA on Monday and i'll see if the STi gives me the same results. I'm also doing this same trip next weekend but this time with my X50 to see the difference in falses.

Radar Fanatic

POP doesn't have to be turned on for a RD to false on other leaky RDs. Many are just really bad, such as the one I eno****ered in WI that I probably picked up from 1/3 mile as he approached me from behind. I'm kind of surprised at the frequency with which you are getting the falses, though. 15 relatively strong Ka falses in 200 miles is unlike anything I've ever heard of. If this was last night (Friday) I'm willing to bet that there were quite a few LEOs out patrolling for street racers and drunks.

I don't know. That still sounds excessive no matter how I try to explain it. Good news about the K-band detection, though. Thanks for keeping us posted on your experiences with it!

Advanced Member

Thx for the post. I'll leave it to the more knowledgeable to diagnosis your report.

Maybe I'll be keeping my RX65 afterall .... for US trips

Yoda of Radar

Sounds about right, considering the Spectre even put a Ka on the STI.

But here, nobody has RD's anyway. So no big deal 8)

Too bad there is no "J" function, unless it is integrated with the POP mode :?:

Good Citizen

I'm thinking something is wrong with my unit. I used to get a Ka alert evertime i turned on the STi. I turned POP off and that stopped and the Ka falses reduced. But even with POP off this STi alerted to a Ka band when i was 3 stories underground in a crowded parking garage. I'm not talking x Band or K Band. But Ka Alerts are the only and most alerts/falses i get with my STi. Other two bands are very quiet compared to Ka. I've gotten more Ka alerts on the Sti then any of my other two detectors combined. I've had my x50 for almost a year and my STi for 3 weeks.

My Va to NYC trip was so plagued with Ka alerts or falses that I actually started IGNORING the Ka alerts. Not a good sign. i know that route like the back of my hand. The STi did very well against the known false spots. Range is very good actually, my only complaint is the falses on the Ka band which i never saw on my x50. Ka band falses are new to me. GOL when you borrow my unit later this month, please take it on a real life test run on real streets if you can fit that in. your sure to get a Ka false within 1 hr of driving.

Lead Foot

In my experiences, BEL 940 and 960 give Ka3 or Ka2 in response to many Cobra and Uniden detectors. There are many in the NYC--PA 78 corridor in NJ. X-50s POP and scare ya in response to these detectors. The V1 J's and a modest Passport 5000 quietly displays "REJECTING FALSE SIGNAL".

Ka in NJ is most likely municipal LEOs.

Makes one wonder if the filtering has deteriorated on recent detectors.

Bill

ES13Raven

Sounds like the STi may be a bit more sensitive than the X50...

I'm willing to bet that most, if not all of your Ka falses were from Cobras. That just sucks that turning off POP doesn't make the falses go away like the X50 does.

I think we should start a Cobra Radar Detector ban :P

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by ES13Raven
    Sounds like the STi may be a bit more sensitive than the X50...

I'm willing to bet that most, if not all of your Ka falses were from Cobras. That just sucks that turning off POP doesn't make the falses go away like the X50 does.

I think we should start a Cobra Radar Detector ban :P
    I agree. Espically considering you only got Ka 2 or 3 alerts...

Yoda of Radar

Was there any kind of pattern to these Ka alerts? Ie every 15 minutes or something, or was it just random?

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    Was there any kind of pattern to these Ka alerts? Ie every 15 minutes or something, or was it just random?
    Random. These other leaky RD are problematic. Just came back from a 2 mile run to the store and encountered two Ka falses on City No X setting. Seems there is not escaping it. Going to try AutoScan mode later to see if it does a better job filtering.