Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default BEL STi and KU Band?

Does anyone know if Bel's new STi is capable of detecting the KU band?

I went to Bel's website at http://www.beltronics.com/sti.html and didn't see any mention of it.

Respectfully,

~Vaughn~

Yoda of Radar

It does not detect Ku, however Bel has mentioned that if Ku becomes a threat here, it can be updated to do so?

Radar Fanatic

To me not having Ku band built in is a drawback. With my dectector it is built in and if Ku ever does become a threat here I will just turn it on. Actually I have it on now but am thinking of turning it to off.

Advanced Member

NO use in having it when there is no Ku radar gun in North America and the prototype failed.

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Professional

Professor Jim, isn't there something about the design of the STi that prevents it from even being capable of receiving Ku signals?

Really, Ku band is pointless. It would have been a gimmick gun 2-3 years ago when nothing was configured to detect it, but once your "super-secret band" has officially been named the 12th that Crapras don't detect, any potential advantage is gone.

Ku will never be a threat in North America.

Advanced Member

I have reason to believe that the current hardware of the STi would prevent reception of Ku freqs. So I don't think it could be enabled by a simple software tweak.

I also don't see Ku being implemented for police radar in the US in the near future, if ever.

Jim

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    I have reason to believe that the current hardware of the STi would prevent reception of Ku freqs. So I don't think it could be enabled by a simple software tweak.

I also don't see Ku being implemented for police radar in the US in the near future, if ever.

Jim
    Awwwwwwwwww come on Jim, I thought I had a good thing going for me with the V1 with Ku built in.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    It does not detect Ku, however Bel has mentioned that if Ku becomes a threat here, it can be updated to do so?
    Thats what Roy said the reps told him at the convention, but I have trouble believeing that because per the STi own advertisment, this unit is NOT upgradable. Not a big deal because I don't believe they will for their other line of detectors that are advertised as upgradable.

Radar Fanatic

Oh, there will be an upgrade if Ku comes to North America. It will probably be called STi-Pro MSRP $499! Maybe BEL would let their customers trade in their STi for an STi Pro. The only catch is that BEL normally doesn't allow more than $80 for trade-in value.

GTO_04

ES13Raven

Quote Originally Posted by RadarRoy
    Ok, had another meeting with Bel this morning, this is what I learned:
    We spoke about the Ku threat. Bel confirmed that once it is for sure that Kustom (or anyone else) is coming out with a Ku gun, that they can turn on Ku band on the detector. There was no comment on how they turn it on, just that they can do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarRoy
    You know, I wouldn't be totally shocked if there was a goofy button combination to turn Ku on with the STI.
    That was I suspected when I was I was told this