Newcomer

Default Noob's RX65 Pro test drive

Managed to get hold of friend to help bring a RX65 to Singapore and this is my experience with Highway mode all the way: test drove passing 2 speeding camera on Singapore highway, no detection; on the way driving to KL Malaysia, no alerts all the way (even when I saw a police guy squatting in the median facing me capturing traffic opposite my direction). During my first hour journey nothing happened with X,K,Ka Int'l, Laser, so I decided to on Pop and Ku just for curious sake but the rest of 3 hours journey was dead silence. Could this kind of thing happened as I see lots of ppl having falsing or something is wrong with my set? :cry:
    Cheers!

Radar Fanatic

Photo radar can be extraordinarily difficult to pick up. Many units have the radar facing away from traffic specifically for that. It could be that there weren't enough objects ahead of you to reflect a strong enough radar signal back to the RX65.

Actually, it just occurred to me that there is such a thing as photo laser. That would be VERY hard for a detector of any kind to pick up.

Newcomer

So does that mean if I were to get a Bel 550 Euro as mentioned in another post, I will be getting an alert? By the way, if photo radar were to be shot from behind, wouldn't it be too late to react when your detector alerts?

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by huffie
    So does that mean if I were to get a Bel 550 Euro as mentioned in another post, I will be getting an alert? By the way, if photo radar were to be shot from behind, wouldn't it be too late to react when your detector alerts?
    1. Yes but if anything like the 990, not much.

2. Yes, it is the most evil of all speed traps.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    Actually, it just occurred to me that there is such a thing as photo laser. That would be VERY hard for a detector of any kind to pick up.
    Nope, (fixed) photo laser is very easy to detect since it isn't exactly aimed directly at ya.

Go find cavili, IIRC he has a RX65 and lives in Singapore

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by huffie
    My RX65 appeared to pick-up photo radar signal within 400 to 500ft depend on traffic volumes. At times our photo radar is not working at all. The one in Yishun is working a month ago and to-date it'still not functioning.
    Photo-radar emits low power and do not expect good sensitivity range.
    I had driven to Malaysia-Seremban Highway and mostly they are using the 'X" radar gun and RX65 detection several kilometres which gives very good reaction times. Never encounter "LASER" at all. Heard that they have photo radars too. So be more observant for over-head flyover, median and others this may saves a few ticket.

I don't think there is fault on your RD perhaps to share with us what's your settings....

Newcomer

Hi cavili, glad that you are able to reply, have emailed to you not sure if you have received. Anyways, I'm sure that the photo radar along AYE works as I've previously seen cars flashed for speeding. The settings I used was everything on (X,K,Ka Int'l,Laser,POP,Ku) just to get some falsing but nothing came about . Previously I travelled on the North-South highway, I'll get 3 summons avg. which I think was from photo radars facing away from traffic (at that time i didn't have rd yet) as there wasn't any roadblocks. Hope you can share some of your experience. Thanks!