Newcomer

Smile Got My V955 - Review

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to say again thank you to everyone that provided feedback and knowledge for me for my purchase.

I ended up getting a V955. It was only a few dollars more (less than $10) than the V940 from where I bought it, so I figured for that it was worth it for AutoScan and CityNoX. So just want to give a short breakdown of what I think so far (will have more to come):

Pros:

1. The range on this thing is awesome, I just love it.
    2. The display is really bright and clear.
    3. Warnings are nice and loud even with the music going.
    4. Went through the programming and it was really easy.
    5. The build quality is excellent, you can just feel it.

Cons:

1. Wow, I can see what you guys mean by ramp up sucks on the M4s, it really does but just have to get used to it I guess.
    2. Not a big fan of the volume adjust on these beltronics units, but I can get used to it.
    3. Would have really preferred a female voice to a male (I'm just going to leave it off probably).

Suprises:

The 955 has TSR!?!?!? This was interesting, I was going through the programming and it has this feature. So I turned it on. I guess the manual on Beltronics' web site is not up to date (2006 on the manual online while my hard copy is 2010). Does this mean all they're new units withe M4 antenna (including the lower 940) have this feature? So this was a pleasant surprise since I really wanted that feature and now I got it. They should update their online manuals for the 955 and 940 then [Belscort, hope you guys see this ]

Couple of questions:

1. Is there really a point to AutoScan vs. City (I'm keeping it on CityLoX for now but might just put it on CityNoX)?
    2. Does anyone even use this Safety Warning System (SWS) feature? Idk why companies put in this feature? Just wondering if anyone has actually encountered on of those.

Well as I get more driving in, I will post more findings. Again, thanks everyone.

Good Citizen

Default Re: Got My V955 - Review

The v940 also has City LoX... And yes they all have TSR. I noticed it killed the K band range. Leave TSR, SWS and POP off.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by merrok45 View Post
    The v940 also has City LoX... And yes they all have TSR. I noticed it killed the K band range. Leave TSR, SWS and POP off.
    the 955 has City NoX, which doesn't report it at all.

i have TSR On since we have a couple of freeways out here that have traffic sensors. also in the areas i travel, never really been hit by a cop using K band, mostly Ka. Usually see K band for speed signs.

Speed Demon

I have an S7 model which I do not believe has TSR, which is fine, honestly I wouldn't use it, i prefer raw data and use my brain to filter it.

Great unit though, been using it for over 3 years.

EDIT... heh EVIL POST number 666!

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Paperlantern View Post
    I have an S7 model which I do not believe has TSR, which is fine, honestly I wouldn't use it, i prefer raw data and use my brain to filter it.

Great unit though, been using it for over 3 years.

EDIT... heh EVIL POST number 666!
    ya it really depends on your area if the system is needed

ya it's a great detector I'm loving it. I haven't really gotten any good testing with it yet though so I have to go find some leos

Lol @ evil post number 666

Speed Demon

I too have a V955 on my bike and have been quite pleased with it. Sure...I'd like a zammy-do-$500 setup, but that'll be later. The V955 has paid for itself...and the bike. I run CityNoX in town and shift to Highway when out on the weekends, where it's never let me down. In town, I get quite a few lazy-K-band alerts from the local Circle K and supermarkets, but any time I get a Ka-Band...it's been a LEO each time.

Newcomer

So been getting some good use out of the 955. Loving it so far. Caught two Leo's tonight using Ka. Good range. TSR is working good as well. Turned it off once and was driving on one of the freeways and bam, K band went nuts, so turned it back on. Learned to live with AutoMute off, rather deal with some false alarms but be ready when it counts. Don't need the guy on the voice either.

The unit is great with X off. Really cut down on false alarms but still get those damn K band door openers. Really wished they sticked to only X band for those door openers and not move over to K band. I mean, it's not like they need range or anything

Another down side (which I read about beforehand as well) is the glare on top of the detector from the sun

Also, had couple of experiences with HIDs: while I was facing a slight up incline and a car would come towards me on a slight down incline, the HID lights would trigger the Laser alert. Happened twice.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by gaazmon View Post
    So been getting some good use out of the 955. Loving it so far. Caught two Leo's tonight using Ka. Good range. TSR is working good as well. Turned it off once and was driving on one of the freeways and bam, K band went nuts, so turned it back on. Learned to live with AutoMute off, rather deal with some false alarms but be ready when it counts. Don't need the guy on the voice either.

The unit is great with X off. Really cut down on false alarms but still get those damn K band door openers. Really wished they sticked to only X band for those door openers and not move over to K band. I mean, it's not like they need range or anything

Another down side (which I read about beforehand as well) is the glare on top of the detector from the sun

Also, had couple of experiences with HIDs: while I was facing a slight up incline and a car would come towards me on a slight down incline, the HID lights would trigger the Laser alert. Happened twice.
    That is a downside to using white labels on top of a dash mounted device. I actually peeled my label off, very carefully, and sprayed it flat black primer, which worked well.