Lead Foot

Default Any idea about STi vs. PhotoRadar?

Everyone from DC knows how these are all over the place now, and of course the STi would be the ideal detector for all of us in the nations capital (Stupid rd ban). So, any idea on the performance?

Yoda of Radar

Well it depends on the kind of photo radar in use.

It is well documented that the Swiss Multanova photo radar cameras can be quite nasty. They run a very low power (adjustable), at a very inconvenient frequency (34,3 GHz) and face diagonally down the road and often towards the rear of passing cars. Making detection nearly impossible.

But other photo radars, like K and Ku band Gatso units, can be picked up from kilometres away.

Still others, which use inductive loops buried in the pavement, or pneumatic hoses lying on the ground are completely impossible to detect and the only solution is to have their locations programmed in GPS. (which is very effective for all photo radars).

I'd say that the STI would be much better on Multanovas than an X50 or RX65. But I think any "narrowband" 34,3 GHz detector would kick it's arse, like a V1 in Euro mode, or a Bel 990 International. Mind you, in DC you also have to worry about the "rest" of Ka band. So you'd need to "switch" between the modes, in-town and on the open road. That is *if* they use Multanovas there, I was in DC but didn't notice them. I didn't get any tickets mailed to me either, but I am from a foreign country

Lead Foot

I'll let you know about K band Gatso's when I get my STi, that I'll order from Roy soon.But if it's as good as the current RX65 I'll be happy, seeing the STi is undetectable according to RadarRoy/GOL's test. And that's what I need in Victoria Aus.

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Any idea about STi vs. PhotoRadar?

Quote Originally Posted by licamell
    Everyone from DC knows how these are all over the place now, and of course the STi would be the ideal detector for all of us in the nations capital (Stupid rd ban). So, any idea on the performance?
    If RD's are banned, I would jump on an STI, hell any warning is better than none!! 8)

Power User

I doubt it would be better than whats marketed and tuned on the european side, I would rather get a Ka narrow detector for specialty photo radar, what is it 34.3? Since the Ka range is similar to rx65, and actually the ka narrow mode of the rx65 seemed better then the STi, I do not see any reason to believe that the STi will help much.

Good Citizen

Default Re: Any idea about STi vs. PhotoRadar?

Quote Originally Posted by licamell
    I drove in DC and VA a lot with my STi before i got the V1. Since i got the V1, i found that it does a better job at detecting the photo radar cameras that are everywhere in DC and MD. The arrows help out a lot when driving around this part of town. If you get either unit and plan to drive in DC, you better mount high because a spectre proof RD is useless if a LEO can spot your RD on the dashboard.