Newcomer

Default Bel 985 Vs. Bel 995

I sold my Bel 985 to a friend to get the Bel 995. I purchased the 995 (off of eBay... Vers 3.6 FCC ID# QL4G1S7) a few months after selling the 985, so I had forgotten the distance of detection from the 985 by the time I got the 995. I thought the 995 was doing great and much better than I had remembered the 985 perfoming, except I noticed it falsing a lot more, ( I called Bel and they said b/c it was a lot more sensitive than 985 was).
    I say all of that to say I got the 985 back and have been comparing it with the 995.

I had both units on Highway mode...
    985 mounted on visor, and 995 mounted left side about middle of the way up.

THe 985 out detected the 995 by about 2-3 secs on about 4 or 5 different occasions including a Ka Band.

Do you think I have a bad (Refurb, 2nd) 995 detector?

Would the mounting have caused this much of a difference?

Do you think the 995 needs to be upgraded to Vers. 4.5?

Any feedback would be great...

Thanks

Speed Demon

Was the Bel 985 in AccuSweep mode?

Advanced Member

The 985 had more line of sight since it was mounted higher.
    Also, you really can't draw any conclusions by comparing the performance of two detectors running at the same time in the same vehicle, since they might interfere with each other:
    http://www.guysoflidar.com/twodetectors.html

Newcomer

Yes, the 985 was in AccuSweep Mode... Why do you ask? MOre chance for interference with 995 or better mode?

Radar Fanatic

All the others make good points. I bought a 995 new (direct from BEL)and was going to trade my 985 in. After using the 995 for a few weeks, I found that the 985 outpreformed it on Ka band so I returned it and kept the 985.

Others here found the 995 to be very good. I suspect either my 995 had something wrong with it on Ka band or it is normal unit to unit variation. I did not have a false alarm problem with the 995 other than a few POP falses which I did not consider a big deal.

GTO_04

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTO_04
    Others here found the 995 to be very good. I suspect either my 995 had something wrong with it on Ka band or it is normal unit to unit variation. I did not have a false alarm problem with the 995 other than a few POP falses which I did not consider a big deal.

GTO_04
    The 995 does NOT have accu-sweep cause it's a "international" detector

The 995 has the same results as your 985 running with accu-sweep OFF and the RX65 in international mode

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96