Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Ordering the STi in Ontario?

Hi, first post here. I've been reading up on detectors and am pretty sure I want to get the STi. Mostly because it is 'invisible' to Spectre. Is there any way I can order one here? Beltronics website says they only ship to the states

Yoda of Radar

Roy will ship to Ontario and probably a better bet than Bel. But I have heard horror stories of customs issues. Optimum solution would be for you to have a friend in Alberta or something that can relay the "package" to you.

Yoda of Radar

Yeah I would say the best bet is have a good friend recieve it in a place were they are completely legal... (like the states) and simply "forward" the product to you.

Advanced Member

Default Re: Ordering the STi in Ontario?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaner
    Hi, first post here. I've been reading up on detectors and am pretty sure I want to get the STi. Mostly because it is 'invisible' to Spectre. Is there any way I can order one here? Beltronics website says they only ship to the states
    It's really a no brainer. Buy some Veil as well Roy's got it on for 10% off

I wouldnt risk shipping into Ontario. I can give you some options if you're in Southern Ont

Good Citizen

I honestly don't think custom's can legally hold your package. RD's are only illegal according to the Ontario Highway Traffic Act. Its not a criminal offence to be caught with one, this is a traffic offence only.

If customs has questions I will tell them I purchased it for testing on an enclosed piece of land. That is legal last time I checked.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Daz
    If customs has questions I will tell them I purchased it for testing on an enclosed piece of land. That is legal last time I checked.
    Yep.

Or for USA driving.

Or perhaps you want to use Tech Display to calibrate your automatic door openers which you design for a living.

Radar Fanatic

There's absolutely nothing stopping you from ordering a detector and having it shipped to Ontario. In fact, I've done it a number of times over the years.

Remember, having the detector in your car is an offense, as per the Highway Traffic Act. Detector ownership or usage is not illegal in Ontario. Furthermore, Customs enforces duties and taxes payable on imported goods, and are not thertoit determine if your import might contravene some section of the HTA.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz
    Yep.

Or for USA driving.

Or perhaps you want to use Tech Display to calibrate your automatic door openers which you design for a living.

NOPE. You can test it on an enclosed piece of land - but you can't drive it there. Customs can and does seize them. Not all the time. Jerry above has been lucky. Mike Valentine won't ship to Ontario because of too many seizures. I know the law. As many of you know, I'm in a constitutional challenge with Section 79 of the Highway Traffic Act. (DATE: April 4) A delivery truck cannot transport it. The driver could be charged.

So anyone in the States shipping to you can have the same problem. A detector cannot be in a motor vehicle in Ontario. Period. Except from Manufacturer owned vehicle (ie: Bel) en route to consignee outside province. Of course, once it's in, say, Alberta, and marked as a radio, there's no customs check between provincial borders. I got my Valentine in through a friend in Alberta.

It sucks, I'm trying to fix it. Interestingly, one of the Atlantic provinces has a specific exception clause in their Highway Traffic Act (it's very similar to Ontario's) that says, once seized, the police officer CAN have the unit in his/her car.

But there are no exceptions in the Ontario Act. I'm thinking of charging the officer that charged me.

Til April 4th my friends.

Sonny

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny S
    But there are no exceptions in the Ontario Act. I'm thinking of charging the officer that charged me.
    Now, THAT would be JUSTICE :!:

BTW, When OPP took my V1, I was hoping that they might let me drive over it instead. I still think it might have survived. Oh well.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by o2bad455
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny S
    Now, THAT would be JUSTICE :!:

BTW, When OPP took my V1, I was hoping that they might let me drive over it instead. I still think it might have survived. Oh well.
    That's how I would have attacked it. You should have demanded to the OPP officer o2. But I think he just really wanted a V1

Hey, take a bicycle to the customs or whatever. Just not in a car!