Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default windshield positioning of the RX65

Does anyone know if it really makes a difference where the RX65 is placed on the windshield (supposedly to enhance laser detection, you are supposed to place it low-center on the windshield)?

The reason I ask is that my rear seat & its headrests are high and if I were to place the radar low on the windshield, I assume that it would interfere with the detection from rear radar/laser. Is that true?

I's appreciate any advice.

Thanks

ES13Raven

Laser detection is really "you are getting a ticket" detection, if you are speeding. Not of much use unless you have a jammer.

Mount it HIGH and level. :wink:

Good Citizen

^^^^^^^ agree

Are you saying that if the laser alert goes off, I will automatically get a ticket? Since. a couple of week's back in CT I had my RX65 positioned high & center - the laser alert went off, I braked quickly from 80 to 65 mph & maybe 10 sec later, over a small hill, I saw a cop at the side of the road pointing his laser out the window. I didn't get caught?!

Was that just luck?

ES13Raven

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley
    Was that just luck?
    Most times, yes.

The RX65 has only average Laser detection, and will not pick up "scatter" laser. If it goes off, and it is from a true LEO, it is already too late.

Good Citizen

I would not say the RX 65 is average....When used properly its increases your chances of early detection. The only dash mount that is better is the V1 according to testing. I would say that makes it above average.

The lower you have the RD for laser the better you are. THe only problem with low is that your rear detection will suffer. Placement shuld be determened by what the Leo's in your area are using.

Laser low, mainly radar high and center below your tint.

With my RX 65 I have picked up leo's lasering other people. I can think of two occasions off the top of my head. Elkhart, Indiana, 20 Bypass, and Cleveland, Ohio, state trooper in town.

Power User

MOUNT HIGH

Why?

Because when your mounting low, the thinking is to catch the LEO painting your headlights and because the RD is mounted lower, better line of sight, well sorry to tell those that believe in the "low" mount, but all you are assureing yourself is that you will be surely alerted when your headlights ARE painted with laser and you will surely know that you just got a ticket PERIOD.

NOW, the purpose for mounting high is to catch ANY stray reflective laser light, no matter how miniscule it is, for EARLY detection due to the pack of cars getting painted and the scatter of light energy bounceing freely through the air, now the only way to increase your chances getting a laser alert or for that matter radar alert, you mount high. It is a simple LOS (line of sight principle). Can a RD mounted low see through the metal of the car in front of you? NO it can NOT. But if it is mounted high, guess what. It can see through all the other windshield and back window of the cars in front of you.

rx65 is the worst of the three RD to detect lidar. Glade to hear that Joe had good experience otherwise. For me I have my olf Bel985 very high and had early laser alerts, it just seems more people get a laser alert high, but I might be wrong. I still recommend higher the better.

Yoda of Radar

http://guysoflidar.com/detectormounting.html

GOL High vs. Low mounting article.

I would say mount high also.

I (luckily) have pop-up headlights, and a red (rather dark) Eagle Talon (YES TALON!)

Note: I really wonder how my car would do against the array of LIDAR units without front LP, and headlights down. (Testing anyways... Not a real-life scenario).
    NYS

Professional

wherever it is, mount it level! i have a v995 and its supprising how a few degrese one way or the other will make a world of difference!

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Mackid343
    wherever it is, mount it level! i have a v995 and its supprising how a few degrese one way or the other will make a world of difference!
    x2
    That is completely true Mackid343.