Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Bel 980 vs. Bel 985

I am thinking about replacing my bel 925 with either a used bel 980 or a bel 985 off ebay. Does anyone know what the differences are between the two? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Radar Fanatic

The 985 will probably have more Ka range, and supposedly it's one of Bel's better ones for laser (although the 925 is nothing shabby, better than my RX65). The 985 has autoscan while the 925 does not.

Where are you in Illinois?

Radar Fanatic

I've owned both a 980 and a 985. They are very close, and very good on Ka band, on a par with V1 (1.7) They are also very good on K band.

The 980 has a better immediancy of response than the 985. But the 985 has fewer Ka false alarms thanks to the Accusweep mode.

Either one will serve you well.

GTO_04

Newcomer

Looks like either should be a good buy then. I will keep an eye on ebay until I see something that interests me. BTW, I live just east of Peoria, Illinois in Morton.

Power User

Well all I can say is that the 985 performs very well. Obviously the newer rx65 has it beat but the 985 at least can see lidar. So it's a great well rounded detector. As far as "falses" go, it will alert to the occasional auto door at the stores because they operate on the same freq 24.150 or so. As far as Ka band , I have never had a unknown false for 3 years running now, and it does have anything to do with Accuseep (USA) mode, just fancy terminology for the option of running in Ka narrow band mode specificly for 33.8 34.7 and 35.5 instead of wasting time scanning the entire Ka superwide band. The offical consensus is USE this feature if you have it! I almost bought another 985 myself as a backup, that is how good it is.

I have heard many great things about the 980 as well, the 985 was just a version up. I am not familar with the 980 but for all intense purposes the 985 had a few more features. If you spot either on I would recommend picking one up. Unless you see alot of 985 available for a good price, I would grab a 980. So obviously 985 if you can find a trsuted source, but if not the 980 should hold its own.

Newcomer

I think that I will most likely get a bel 985. Do you think I should get a refurb unit or a used one? They appear to be going for about the same price.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by vortexnut
    I think that I will most likely get a bel 985. Do you think I should get a refurb unit or a used one? They appear to be going for about the same price.
    If it is factory refurbished by BEL that would be the way to go. At least it would have some kind of warranty, wouldn't it? I am not familiar with any BEL refurbs. If you buy a used one you're not totally sure of what you are getting.

GTO_04

Newcomer

There are several ebay auctions that list the detector as new. Most likely I am assuming that the units are actually refurbs and are not new. Since I am not buying from an authorized bel dealer I am also assuming that there will not be a warranty.

Radar Fanatic

How much is the new (maybe refurb) 985 going for on e-bay?

GTO_04

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by vortexnut
    There are several ebay auctions that list the detector as new. Most likely I am assuming that the units are actually refurbs and are not new. Since I am not buying from an authorized bel dealer I am also assuming that there will not be a warranty.

I am wondering if a V895 might do better for you for $200 and you would have a warranty. I don't remember which test it was in but it did pretty well especially for the price.