Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer
    Orlando, Florida Mercedez Benz E350 Bel RX65 M4 Rev 2.9

Default Bel Rx65 M4 2.9 Weird incident.

OK, I know this may sound strange, but today I removed my radar from the window, and placed it in my center console. When I returned to the car, and raised it back up, I noticed my laser going wild. I then moved my hand and the radar detector up and down until I figured out what was causing it to go off wild. It was my CD player..... For some reason, when the rear of the radar detector was facing and was close to my cd changer insert cd area, it picked up laser signals. Can someone try that in their vehicle and let me know if the same thing happens with your Laser detection. It freaked me out. I'm not technical expert, but it appears that it was dectecting the laser signal in my cd changer.

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Bel Rx65 M4 2.9 Weird incident.

Quote Originally Posted by OrlNmE
    OK, I know this may sound strange, but today I removed my radar from the window, and placed it in my center console. When I returned to the car, and raised it back up, I noticed my laser going wild. I then moved my hand and the radar detector up and down until I figured out what was causing it to go off wild. It was my CD player..... For some reason, when the rear of the radar detector was facing and was close to my cd changer insert cd area, it picked up laser signals. Can someone try that in their vehicle and let me know if the same thing happens with your Laser detection. It freaked me out. I'm not technical expert, but it appears that it was dectecting the laser signal in my cd changer.
    Hmmm I tried 3 of mine, none of them did this. Was it when a CD was in the player, and playing... or what was the CD player doing?

Radar Fanatic

Could have been electromagnetic interference. RX65s are known to false due to airport radar so I suppose it could have been something similar.

Lead Foot

Something is amiss..CD lasers typically operate in the 780nm range and DVDs are even shorter at 650nm. Both are a long ways from 904nm....
    This may sound odd but is there some sort of IR communications port in that area?

Newcomer

Ok, to answer your questions, 1st, no there isn't anything nearby that is laser or infared that i know of. I tried making a small video of it, but it's to big to upload. It's in Mpeg format and 105 megs. Any suggestions on how to shrink it down?

Good Citizen

Yeah, RX65 did falses on airport radar/laser but strange never on CD/DVD player. I had a portable 9" DVD player and it never false at all.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by HighVoltage
    Something is amiss..CD lasers typically operate in the 780nm range and DVDs are even shorter at 650nm. Both are a long ways from 904nm....
    This may sound odd but is there some sort of IR communications port in that area?
    I believe that 904nm is the only police lidar wavelength currently in use in the US, but most of the RD companies actually detect anything in a much wider range. Check the specs on yours to see how close it gets to the 780nm of your CD player. For example, I think the V1 detects down to 820nm, FWIW.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by OrlNmE
    Ok, to answer your questions, 1st, no there isn't anything nearby that is laser or infared that i know of. I tried making a small video of it, but it's to big to upload. It's in Mpeg format and 105 megs. Any suggestions on how to shrink it down?
    Well, you can cut the video time down by omiting unimportant stuff. Lower the resolution picture size, just like your computer monitor, but go very small something like 300x200 or something like that. There are many other bit rate settings that you can lower as well, but do not go bare bones, cutting down o nthe picture size alone can half your file size, not to mention encoding time. Be prepared it will take time to reencode.

If you have broadband connection you can upload to

www.rapidshare.de

100 meg file limit size, but you can span files if you really wanted to put a 100+ meg file out there.

Radar Fanatic

i know exactly what he is talking about. every detector ive had will go off in my moms RX300 when you point it at the display of the head unit. i just shot a vid. lemme upload it then ill put in on here.

alright heres the vid-

http://media.putfile.com/laser-false

Newcomer

YES!!! That is exactly what I am talking about. It goes wild on laser...