Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default better reliability: S7 or M4 RX65? Experiences/info wanted

I might pick up a RX65 in the next couple of days. I can get a brand new one for $200. Or i can get the S7 refurb for $200.

I'm not sure what I should do. Does the M4 version have USA mode? I know the M4 antenna is a cheaper less sensitive one, but are there upsides to this?

Any other information regarding the 2 different versions is greatly appreciated

thanks guys

Good Citizen

Default Re: better reliability: S7 or M4 RX65? Experiences/info wanted

I have an M4 and it does have USA mode. There is definately a BIG difference in Ka sensitivity with USA mode on. I have gotten lots of IO saves, around corners, behind trees, and some with over a mile of range. And I have never recieved a false alert on Ka with USA mode tunred on. Unlike what I hear some people report about the V1 with Ka guard off.

I would make the switch to S7 if I could find some difinative proof that it would be signifigantly better than the M4.

Over all I have been VERY happy with the M4, but I have never used any of the super high end detectors to compare it to.

Good Citizen

cancel that last order. I just uncovered this old thread

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...-had-done.html

I guess I have some good reading for tonight!

Lead Foot

thanks alot for the info rob. I wouldn't mind meeting up with you at some point and doing a little comparison. I just don't want to buy a S7 refurb that won't have TSR and might be more prone to crapping out on me, when i can get a new one for the same price.

ugh....but Nine C1 seems to think the S7 is a big step up from M4?

Good Citizen

I wouldn't be to concerned about TSR unless you plan on taking it to cali. The only place I have noticed TSR is on 91 just south of Hartford CT. I have also heard about some of it in NYC, but unless you have a GPS detector you will get tons of K falses anyways passing through NYC.

I guess the S7 vs M4 debate will continue forever, unless someone can do a conclusive test. Other wise its just opinion. But if its almost too close to call, I might just stick with my M4, because it does seem to be a hot one.

Banned

M4 is a more reliable platform and though the S7 might have a slight edge depending on the test or scenario the M4 has its advantages as well. Not enough of a difference to be worth debating unless there is a big price difference IMO.

However if there is a choice for BS/RDR or USA mode there is a debatable difference.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by RobInAlbany View Post
    I wouldn't be to concerned about TSR unless you plan on taking it to cali. The only place I have noticed TSR is on 91 just south of Hartford CT. I have also heard about some of it in NYC, but unless you have a GPS detector you will get tons of K falses anyways passing through NYC.

I guess the S7 vs M4 debate will continue forever, unless someone can do a conclusive test. Other wise its just opinion. But if its almost too close to call, I might just stick with my M4, because it does seem to be a hot one.
    I hit TSR in new Hampshire going skiing. Was annoying as hell with V1

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by CJR238 View Post
    M4 is a more reliable platform and though the S7 might have a slight edge depending on the test or scenario the M4 has its advantages as well. Not enough of a difference to be worth debating unless there is a big price difference IMO.

However if there is a choice for BS/RDR or USA mode there is a debatable difference.
    what are the advantages of m4, just the reliability and newer software features?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 4ringz4life View Post

what are the advantages of m4, just the reliability and newer software features?
    Potential for better long range KA performance, reliability, and newer software features. Its also cheaper to repair.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by 4ringz4life View Post

Potential for better long range KA performance, reliability, and newer software features. Its also cheaper to repair.
    gotcha, thanks