Default Stir Plus Installation

I have a Stir Plus just installed on a 2008 Toyota Camry SE. The question I have is does installing the sensor behind the honeycomb grill affect the performance, or is something else wrong. I have had a couple KA alerts only after the LEO was clearly in site ( 100 Yrds give or take) Also the detector has pop on and all the other factory settings are the same. The sens is in autoscan also. Any hep is greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

Speed Demon

Default Re: Stir Plus Installation

The STi R can see through plastic but it is best to have an unobstructed view. If there is metal in the grill you will have a real problem.

Can you mount the sensor too low?

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by uniqueaustin View Post
    Can you mount the sensor too low?
    It may have trouble seeing around cars, but an extra foot or two shouldn't make much difference.

The lower grille (in between the fog lights and below the regular grille) should be fine. Several of the members have theirs mounted there.

Professional

If its a plastic grill, it should work ok, but it will most likely effect its off axis performance. This is where the PLUS really shines.

I have a Stir Plus just installed on a 2008 Toyota Camry SE. The question I have is does installing the sensor behind the honeycomb grill affect the performance, or is something else wrong. I have had a couple KA alerts only after the LEO was clearly in site ( 100 Yrds give or take) Also the detector has pop on and all the other factory settings are the same. The sens is in autoscan also. Any hep is greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance for the help.
    If your LEO's use instant on, you have RDR on, and are not segmented, there is a great chance that you won't detect them until you are that close. My antenna is very low, but I get outstanding range. My V1 is mounted up as high on the windshield as I can get it w/ Ka guard off and the plus beats out the V1 on every encounter I've had, except for two. One was an out of tune gun, one was an I/O shot where the V1 alerted .0000075 secs early than the Plus. My advice, turn off the RDR, set sensitivity to Highway, segment and see if you have better results.

Quote Originally Posted by jmichalakjr View Post
    If your LEO's use instant on, you have RDR on, and are not segmented, there is a great chance that you won't detect them until you are that close. My antenna is very low, but I get outstanding range. My V1 is mounted up as high on the windshield as I can get it w/ Ka guard off and the plus beats out the V1 on every encounter I've had, except for two. One was an out of tune gun, one was an I/O shot where the V1 alerted .0000075 secs early than the Plus. My advice, turn off the RDR, set sensitivity to Highway, segment and see if you have better results.
    What is the rdr and also do i leave the pop setting on sorry for all questions. Im new to this radar system by all means.

What is the rdr and also do i leave the pop setting on sorry for all questions. Im new to this radar system by all means.
    Radar detector rejection. This helps eliminate falses but has also shown to miss quick trigger shots and slow down response time. Turning RDR off will give you MUCH better results. However, you will now be picking up all the Crapra (Cobra) leaky detectors which will have your new STI-r Plus giving you Ka falses all day long. This is why you want to segment your detector if you turn RDR off. Not only that, but segmenting for only the frequencies that your LEO's use will speed up the response times since it won't be searching the full Ka radar spectrum. It will only scan the frequencies you told it to. Most users will have theirs segmented with 2,5,8 on and all the rest off. I did run across an out of tune 35.5 gun and my plus almost completely missed him because of this. The big one to have off would be 1. Not sure where you live, but the only reason to have pop on is if they use it in your area which doesn't seem too likely.

Imin Austin Texas. I truly don't know what freq. Are used here. But any help on exactly what crews to turn off and other features would be great. At the moment I'm a little disappointed in the performance rage of the stir plus. It seems to only detect Leo when with in 50 yards. Is this common? Thanks for the help again Kim new to this type of radar.