Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Bel vector 985 vs Bel Pro RX-55

Which one would be better as far as picking up K and Ka and least on falsing.. Please respond ASAP,,, think you

Newcomer

The RX55 has good range. In my experience owning one, it was almost as good as the RX65 on Ka but it is a falsy little bugger and you can't disable bands [except citynoX]

I already have the RX55 and it don't pick up as good as what i would think it would and it falses a lot. I can't afford a RX65 or a X50 so i'm looking for something that don't false as much as the RX55 and picks up K and Ka. From what i've read I thought the Vec 985 would do the job. I'm open for any suggestions for other RD's that will do what I need..

Power User

Great question. Not sure where you would get a 985 from as they are not made any longer. But for the features and options the 985 has the 55 beat period. Laser is detected better than the newer 65 & 55 unts respectively aswell. So if you have a good source for the 985 I would highly recommend that, you can not go wrong.

If you are absolutly freaking and demand POP mode (which some honestly deisable anyways becasue of the lack of threat of and increased falses) then get the new rx55.

Also good for consideration (if you want NEW POP mode) is the Bel 995? and a Beltronics model 895? that only Radio Shack carries.

From what i've read about Pop Mode,, When it goes off the Cop already has you,, Is that TRUE?? Is so,,, I would just like to find a Good K and Ka RD that doesn't false like my RX55 does.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by cubsfan_1959
    From what i've read about Pop Mode,, When it goes off the Cop already has you,, Is that TRUE?? Is so,,, I would just like to find a Good K and Ka RD that doesn't false like my RX55 does.
    So you already have the rx55?

What state do you live in, do they have POP?

They have an approximation of your speed, the LEO has to switch to instant on mode to write you a valid citation for speeding. Basicly the rule of thumb no matter what is always have a bunny in front to draw the early warning from. So if you driving about and the traffic gets shot up ahead, you are really only relying upon detecting that instant on.

You can pick up instant on further away then you would POP! So you are banking on getting that instant on warning to begin with. Going by that, a detector that does not have POP mode will not harm you.

X and K bands can be detected further away because it is a longer wavelenght, travels farther, than Ka. The range for X and K, all detectors will suffice, correction all top line detectors, will give you pleanty of warning, they all will be good. As for Ka, if you want the best, stay with the top detectors. Yadda yadda yadda.

My 985 picks up the occasional door opener, but it alerts at a very weak level and only lasts for 2-4 secs. I am also lucky to be able to disable X band, my state has taken that off the books, yeay for me. The 985 is the last to have some user features that have been removed in the new Bel models. Such muted weak level (visual only) alert, untill reaches stronger threshold then starts chirping again.

I live approx 65 miles S.W. of Indy... I don't have a problem with the X at all in my area, And my Pop has only gone off maybe 5-6 times in last 8-10 months. That may change in the future but Who Knows,,, I'm just tired of being less than 2 blocks before my detector picks up coming into a town (small town cop and in normal traffic, maybe 4 cars within 6-7 block straight away). I know that my RD should of went off before that because of them sitting in the middle of a divided road and the traffic is Not Bumper to Bumper Like a City. As i'm going by the Cop car I'm looking at them and it looks like they are not using anything special.

Banned

I have the 985 and I LOVE IT!!! IT HAS GREAT LASER DETECTION!!!! and the Range is awesome too, I would say the 985 is better because of the options of being ablle to turn off all bands and useing superwide with accusweep mode is really good when your are in a city with all Ka!!! As far as radar detection I would asume they are pretty much the same!! Laser I would rate the 985 better cause everyone says that the bel early models were beter at picking it up!! I have been hit about 4 times and I mount my detector in the middle!! I would say the 985 for laser and the better options!!

Lead Foot

Default Bel RX55

Quote Originally Posted by cubsfan_1959
    I already have the RX55 and it don't pick up as good as what i would think it would and it falses a lot. I can't afford a RX65 or a X50 so i'm looking for something that don't false as much as the RX55 and picks up K and Ka. From what i've read I thought the Vec 985 would do the job. I'm open for any suggestions for other RD's that will do what I need..
    Bel PRO RX55 has a different platform then the Bel PRO RX65. Bel PRO RX55 I had didn't fair very well On Ka detection at least in my town using Ka 35.5 Ghz. I still own the Bel 985 and at least over hills it has better Ka range then my Bel PRO Rx65 S7 4.5. Does Beltronics upgrade BEL 985 for POP and Ku detection? Bel 985 is probably one of the best units they have ever made at least that's my opinion.

Professional

the bel vector 985 is very good at picking up the Talon Gun KA 35.5 freq
    i my self have testtted this radardetector and its very good on range
    but i have also testted out the vector 895 and it rocks on ka band more than the v985 only thing is laser is much better on the older models :? wonder what happen to bel on this.