Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Professional

Default Sti and Pop 16ms : Able or Not

Brick wrote this in another topic :
    the hand-held MPH Z-series radar units, is a much quicker 16ms burst of radiation. (I believe it is on K-band only.) The V1 can only pick this up about 10% of the time (basically useless). The duration of the radar emission is just too short. No other detector can pick it up, either.
    ref.: http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...r=asc&start=45

Beltronics says that Sti is pop able , but do not elaborate if it catches this 16ms burst ?

Thanks

Yoda of Radar

I would assume that the STi is pop capable on the 67burst, not the 16. (I have no conclusive evidence to back this up) but I do not believe that the detector would pick it up, no other detector (the rest of the big 3) can repeatedly pick up on this, and I would doubt the STi could, otherwise it may (also) have been a major selling point, SpectreProof and 16 POP burst detectable... :shock: :shock:

I do not know this for sure (havent seen any tests), but I would assume that it does not... just my guess here.

Maybe Jim or someone else will be able to add more to this, or maybe a test will be revealed to enlighten people on this topic more. Anycase if it truely CAN :shock: :shock: :shock:

Advanced Member

They need to make it alert to 67ms K-band pop before they worry about the 16ms variety. In Michael B's test results, it first says that the unit did not report K-Band pop, and then says that it only alerts to 67ms K-Band POP at most 10% of the time (???).

So it's a pretty good bet that if it even alerts to 16ms K-Band pop, it does it a very small percentage of the time (< 10%). So, basically no useful warning.

http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...=7626&start=15

Quote Originally Posted by Michael B
    You guys want to see delay information?
    I've got delay information.

Bel Sti Test
    Rev A1 M7

POP was set ON
    X was inconsistent sometimes -101, sometimes -110, sometime in between.
    K -116 the unit did not report POP K.
    33.8 -110 Good from 60ms to 100ms. No response if 200ms to 900ms. Responded mostly above 1 second
    34.3 -112 Responded sometimes from 400ms to 800ms. Responded mostly above 900ms.
    34.7 -111 Responded sometimes from 300ms to 700ms. Responded mostly above 800ms.
    35.5 -110 Responded sometimes from 400ms to 700ms. Responded mostly above 800ms.

Factory reset is POP OFF so I tried that to see if anything was different. (It sure was)
    33.8 -110 No response if 60ms to 900ms. Responded mostly above 1 second. Had erratic operation
    34.3 -112 Responded mostly above 500ms.
    34.7 -111 Responded mostly above 400ms.
    35.5 -110 Responded mostly above 500ms.

It would appear that the POP OFF mode will more frequently respond to ½ second triggers and POP ON mode must wait until 800ms to 1 second.

For those of you experiencing falsing issues due to other radar detectors, you may wish to turn POP mode ON!

POP attempts with POP ON. 10 random tries each at intervals of 10 seconds or more
    33.8 67ms 90% K Band 67ms 10%
    100ms 90% 100ms 20%
    200ms 10% 200ms 10%
    300ms 0% 300ms 10%
    400ms 0% 400ms 30%
    500ms 0% 500ms 70%
    600ms 0% 600ms 70%
    700ms 0% 700ms 100%
    800ms 0% 800ms 100%
    900ms 0% 900ms 100%
    1 sec most of the time see note* 1 sec 100%

NOTE* I had several instances when 33.8 would not work at all even during full CW pulse.
    This unit may have some software of hardware issue. I had to reset the unit and it appeared to work again.

Sensitivity and windows for X and K were reasonable over temperature and maintained sensitivity to the edges of X and K band

Laser Performance was good but only valid 100 thru 500 Hz. Good enough for North America I guess.
    I seem to recall some Laser guns used overseas around 900Hz. Sorry to all of you guys over seas.

Yoda of Radar

Ha, well I guess that sums it up... the STi is not going to be a 16ms POP burst animal.

One thing though we have to think logically here about:

The STi's main appeal is use of a high-end RD in areas where they are illegal, so why would law enforcement use POP guns anyways?

The main appeal of POP was for an LEO (in areas where RD's are legal) to be able to get an esitmated speed on someone without alerting any RD users, and then just hold the trigger for 1/2second longer(depending on model) to switch to instant on mode and nab people. This would allow LEO's to nab people with RD's because instead of using instant on where detectors (of the time) would all alert to it, POP would make the LEO's actions 'invisible' to RD users... so they could keep casually clocking as many people as they wanted, until they decided a number was close enough to switch to instant on and obtain the actual speed.

So this brings us to the point that, in areas where rd's are illegal anyways, most LEO agency's would see no need for POP capable units, because no one should have an rd, instead they probably invest (more heavily) in spectre units. (Both POP capable radar units and the latest Spectres are no cheap toys to throw around).

So in the end, using a little logic, I guess you could say it shouldnt make a whole heap of difference, because it hangs right in there with the best of them on X, K, Ka bands according to the information we have obtained so far on it.

Just my view of that though.

Power User

I don't know of any detector that can reliably and usefully detect 16ms K band POP. I saw the V1 alert to it once out of 10 times.

Professional

Thank you Jim ,

It seems Beltronics is hyping on this feature ...

Living in Bana : if cop start using pop then we are cooked : because of the ban , nobody would challenge a pop ticket in court .

In reality or an impression : cops are going more and more toward laser ... good for them ... better for us :wink:

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by 411
    Thank you Jim ,

It seems Beltronics is hyping on this feature ...

Living in Bana : if cop start using pop then we are cooked : because of the ban , nobody would challenge a pop ticket in court .

In reality or an impression : cops are going more and more toward laser ... good for them ... better for us :wink:
    Well that depends, better for those whom can afford Laser Jammers and those who live in areas where they are legal. TERRIBLE for everyone else.

Longsnowsm

10% on 67ms pop isn't something to write home to mom about... :shock: I really expected this new detector to raise the bar on some of this newer technology, alas not so.

Longsnowsm

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Longsnowsm
    10% on 67ms pop isn't something to write home to mom about... :shock: I really expected this new detector to raise the bar on some of this newer technology, alas not so.

Longsnowsm
    You obviously mean other then being completely immune to all Spectre units. (even the newest Gens) :roll:

(Not to mention still retaining the range on x,k,ka bands).

Professional

Well that depends, better for those whom can afford Laser Jammers and those who live in areas where they are legal. TERRIBLE for everyone else.
    Yes , I wrote that with a sour/sweet flavor . Altough , veil is not so expensive , when well applied one bottle goes a long way .

In a way a pop-radar is similar to laser , the main difference with pop ne is even more defenseless .... I prefer the least lethal leo's ammunition :wink: