Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Thumbs down Poor design STI-R Plus

What a PIA on my recent installation of STI-R Plus. I don’t know how I did it but some how I was able to hit the right amount of buttons to place the detector to off. I call Beltronics as the detector picks up nothing except GPS related services such as Red Light cameras. Thank God I had a knowledgeable individual who knew what I was talking about. She informed me that I needed Detector Tools to power up the detector. The problem is I own a Mac Book Pro and a Mac Pro.

I fired up Fusion on the Mac Book Pro, start Windows, down load PC version, hook up to detector, nothing. Mac won’t recognize anything hooked up to USB port in Fusion. Shut down Windows and Fusion, download Mac Beta version. Clunky interface putting detector in program mode, but it works. Only problem is there is no menu item to turn the detector on. I can update the database, etc., but that’s it. Ended up buying a cheap Windows PC to get up and running.

IMO, this is ludicrous. I can’t believe I can turn off the detector off pushing a few buttons, but need a Windows based laptop to turn it back on. Very poor design.

Advanced Member
    Upstate New York where the Stalker Dual is King

Default Re: Poor design STI-R Plus

Quote Originally Posted by brianric View Post
    What a PIA on my recent installation of STI-R Plus. I don’t know how I did it but some how I was able to hit the right amount of buttons to place the detector to off. I call Beltronics as the detector picks up nothing except GPS related services such as Red Light cameras. Thank God I had a knowledgeable individual who knew what I was talking about. She informed me that I needed Detector Tools to power up the detector. The problem is I own a Mac Book Pro and a Mac Pro.

I fired up Fusion on the Mac Book Pro, start Windows, down load PC version, hook up to detector, nothing. Mac won’t recognize anything hooked up to USB port in Fusion. Shut down Windows and Fusion, download Mac Beta version. Clunky interface putting detector in program mode, but it works. Only problem is there is no menu item to turn the detector on. I can update the database, etc., but that’s it. Ended up buying a cheap Windows PC to get up and running.

IMO, this is ludicrous. I can’t believe I can turn off the detector off pushing a few buttons, but need a Windows based laptop to turn it back on. Very poor design.
    Oh boy........you guys from Jersey.

Believe it or not, Bel designed the Plus with the ability to disable it as a Radar Detector in the event the user was pulled in an area where detectors are illegal. With the Radar Detector functions disabled, it is technically nothing more than a GPS unit with speed & redlight camera warnings. I suppose if you could re-enable these functions using the detector itself, it would still meet the definition of a Radar Detector.

Anyhow, you may not have needed to buy that PC. Belscort has had a beta version of detector tools out for MACs for about a month now. See the bottom of this page.

Beltronics :: Product Registration
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Citizen

Still a poor design, and to my recall, no mention of this in owner's manual. If you read my post the Mac beta version can only update data base and firmware, no changing of settings, unlike the Windows version.

Radar Fanatic

Here's a idea....Net books are cheap

Advanced Member
    Upstate New York where the Stalker Dual is King

Still a poor design, and to my recall, no mention of this in owner's manual. If you read my post the Mac beta version can only update data base and firmware, no changing of settings, unlike the Windows version.
    Us Friggin guys from New York can't read either.

It's mentioned right opposite of page 1 in the owners manual in the "Congratulations" section. Not where I would have put it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by nine_c1 View Post
    Us Friggin guys from New York can't read either.

It's mentioned right opposite of page 1 in the owners manual in the "Congratulations" section. Not where I would have put it.
    Even worse for a former procedure writer, now retired, at a nuclear power plant, to miss it.

Still a poor design.

Lead Foot

The STi-R Plus International model comes with the radar and laser detector feature disabled. To enable radar detection you will need to connect your STi-R Plus to a computer running our Detector Tools application. In the "User Preferences" section select On under "User Alerts".

Should you need to disable radar detection simply hold the VOL and SENS buttons for 5 seconds. You will have to use the Detector Tools application to enable detection again.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by MarshVegas View Post
    The STi-R Plus International model comes with the radar and laser detector feature disabled. To enable radar detection you will need to connect your STi-R Plus to a computer running our Detector Tools application. In the "User Preferences" section select On under "User Alerts".

Should you need to disable radar detection simply hold the VOL and SENS buttons for 5 seconds. You will have to use the Detector Tools application to enable detection again.
    And your point is?

Lead Foot

maybe it wasn't you that disabled the radar/laser .

Good Citizen

I was the one that disabled it. Should not have to use a laptop to enable it.