Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Power User

Default I bought a low power radar gun tested my Rx-65

Ok. I wanted to see how fast my go cart, model airplane and some other things went. So I went to the local Dicks sporting goods and paid $150 for a Bushnell radar gun. It is only able to pick cars up at less than 1/4 mile and it can read a speed of up to 200mph.

So, I headed out one day just to hit a few cars and see what I got on the gun. Huh funny thing I was able to get a speed and not set off my radar?

I was able to hit the trigger so fast that my radar wouldn't even go off. I did this about 10 times and 8 out of 10 it never went off. Now the Rx-65 was mounted on my windshield and I was shooting out the front of the truck.

I then had someone sit in my truck and let me know if it ever went off when I would hit the trigger real fast. 8 out of 10 again just about. Pop was on. It makes me wonder now if when these officers pass me if they just pop me that quick and I don't even know it.

Also I had my wife sit in the median with the radar pointed on a straight away and I was able to pick this radar up on k band over a mile away in the opposite direction and this thing is low power. Ne way just thought I would let everyone know what I discoverd. Also found out that my city uses MPH. Not sure what kind yet but an officer showed it to me and I don't think it was that good. You had to actually hold down a button until you wanted a speed and then hold it again. On other radars I have seen you just hit a button on and off.

I would like to show video of my detector vs this radar gun so can anyone place it on the web for me if I do it?

Thanks, Jason

Power User

So, I headed out one day just to hit a few cars and see what I got on the gun. Huh funny thing I was able to get a speed and not set off my radar Detector?

I was able to hit the trigger so fast that my radar detector wouldn't even go off.

Professional

I think you need a real ture pure audio doppler radar gun (Not Synthesized radar)to test the radar detector.

Power User

Either way it is a radar gun. It is real low power. Everytime I could get a speed off a car and not set the detector off. I just clicked the trigger real fast. Now maybe they are not set to detect such low power radars like that. Because officers don't use anything that low power I guess. I am just a little confused that I can get a speed off a vehilce about 500 to 700 feet away in a fraction of a second and my radar detector was silent about 8 out of 10.

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Outrun
    Either way it is a radar gun. It is real low power. Everytime I could get a speed off a car and not set the detector off. I just clicked the trigger real fast. Now maybe they are not set to detect such low power radars like that. Because officers don't use anything that low power I guess. I am just a little confused that I can get a speed off a vehilce about 500 to 700 feet away in a fraction of a second and my radar detector was silent about 8 out of 10.

If it is strong enough of a signal to get a reading, the radar detecto will pick it up. My guess is it is not an FCC approved frequency for police.

Old Timer

cant cops do this then?

Good Citizen

It's like manual pop mode 8)

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    Yep.
    ...then what the hell is the point of a radar detector?