Good Citizen

Default upgrage pro 65 or not?

I have a pro 65 that I bought from Roy last june 2005. version 3.6.. I could not be happier with it. I get warnings "hell" almost 2 miles away all bands. only problem is occasional false on ka1 from other vehicles crappy detectors (usa mode) and even those falses are 1/4 mile away.

I sometimes get detection so far ahead I think false alarm and then theres the cop on the shoulder 2 miles from the alarm.

I once was leaving town and passed a speed sign on a stationary squad car facing to at me and I got a alarm for 1 1/2 miles behind me with the gun and car facing away from me. Must have been bouncing off things behind me. slight hills even. (cty rd 45 south Owatonna).

My detector has saved me thousands in possible tickets..... no lie...

anyway, I have been reading about the M4 2.9 upgrade. is it worth it for me to upgrade before my warrenty is up. I dont want to mess up a good detector with newer crappy software. and will the newer software work good with an old antenia? Are they updating antenia's?

any imput would be helpful I have to decide soon.

thanks
    mark1

Power User

hmm...if you are getting that sort of range id leave it, updating the new firmware wont stop it going off at doors etc...as this means it is working. Mine always goes off in a built up area but thats what the mute button is for. the day it stops alerting ill throw it out

Advanced Member

I dont believe you can upgrade a 3.6 to a M4 2.9 since there is some hardware differences between the 2.

The latest software you could get is the 4.5 which I've read seems to throw fewer falses than the 3.6 version. I'm a 3.6 version user as well and dont see any compelling reasons to switch.

Power User

ive got 4.5 and I havnt seen any differences from my old 3.6

Power User

NO

Hell I will buy for you the upgrade! Just give me your old rx65 if it has that type of performance!

Old Timer

personally, I have learned to go by "if it aint broke, dont fix it"

Professional

The only difference I noticed between the 3.6 and the 4.5 is lesser falses in POP mode on the 4.5

Newcomer

ok, i just got off the phone with Bel, and the cust. service rep claims that the new antenna is NOT performance enhancing. He said that the new antenna is just a new design, and is more cost efficient for Beltronics to produce. (hmm, i wonder if they'll lower the price.....yea right!)

Don't hold me to it, but it makes sense to me. so i guess to answer ur question the 4.5 version is just as good as the new M4 2.9 version; or so Bel claims. I guess we can wait till more info becomes available about this new antenna, and maybe even a Test!!

Advanced Member

I think most members would say save the money and invest in some laser protection... veil and wait for the new jammers to come out

Professional

The great news is cops in Louisiana don't have laser guns. And I don't normally go outside of the state. Have to stay close to the Base.