Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Power User

Default Help Mounting my RX65 in a Concealed Spot

Right, I have a 2000 Ford Explorer and I want to mount my detector in a not so obvious spot (due to local laws) but somewhere i can still see it or grab it if need be.and I cant seem to see anywhere to put it, my old Bel 880 had a different mount so I could put it up the top corner of the window and it would hide pretty well...but the new one wont fit there....can anyone shed some light for me please..

Cheers

Stalker

Advanced Member

I mount my BEL right behind the rear view the smart cord gives me warnings and i have gotten to the point where i can tell each sound apart and i still have voice on, auto mute off, I use to toy with it just under the rearview so i can see the readings

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Power User

yeah i looked at that but i have a toll tag there so it is a little hard...and i want somewhere that i can remove the detector quicly if need be...

if i put it under a dash mat will it effect the range of the detector???

Power User

I think i have decided to get a dash mat and hide it under there...will this effect the range??

Old Timer

Probibally not the best in your situation but....
    http://www.radardetector.net/Conceal...50%21-955t.php
    Maybe you could put a sticker over the front of the radar detector on the windshield so cops wouldnt notice it when you are driving at them?

Power User

yeah thought of that too...hey if i mount the radar on the far edge (near A pillar)of the window with suction cups to window, the detector is on a angle due to the curve of the window...will this effect the range etc of the detector?? I can get a photo if you require

cheers

Newcomer

It might -- depending on how much of an angle it is. You want the RD to be as close to parallel to the ground as possible.

Good Citizen

My 8500 X50 is mounted in the upper left corner of my windshield so that I can tilt the sun visor down 20 degrees or so, and it is not visible from the rear or sides unless you are really looking for it. I used a plain old telephone cord routed thru the A-pillar coming out at the sun visor, so there is no wire to see from the outside.

Experienced

Don't forget that you can use a phone cord to extend your power cord. I have mine running through all of my trim and it follows my rearview mirror support down to the window. If I do need to remove the detector quickly i take it off and tuck the rest of the cord into the headliner. Works great!

Speed Demon

Default Re: Help Mounting my RX65 in a Concealed Spot

Quote Originally Posted by stalker
    Right, I have a 2000 Ford Explorer and I want to mount my detector in a not so obvious spot (due to local laws) but somewhere i can still see it or grab it if need be.and I cant seem to see anywhere to put it, my old Bel 880 had a different mount so I could put it up the top corner of the window and it would hide pretty well...but the new one wont fit there....can anyone shed some light for me please..

Cheers

Stalker
    Hardwire it above the rearview mirror and use the dark setting. Use the hardwire kit with the smart plug feature and mount that part just about anywhere.