I made my own hardwire cable today and something is wack. To preface a little, being that I am a newb here, I am an electrician by trade and am very familiar with DC voltage, meter use and proper wiring methods. I am new at wiring detectors and am no electronics guru.
I measured the voltage being provided by the included smart cord and the two center pins provide the 12Vdc whereas Red is + and Green is -.
I purchased a phone cable and wired it up using the appropriate end that would make it color matched. I used my fuse panel (switched leg from the unused "phone" fuse) and used the screw above my fuse box as a ground (It measured 12ohms to battery negative, so a great ground). The two outside wires I clipped off at the power end making sure they were not touching or grounded and shrink wrapped the end up nice.
I have the appropriate voltage on the appropriate pins as verified with my fluke but the RX65 does not turn on. If I plug in the included cigarrete power cord the unit works perfectly. There must be something else going on with that smart plug that inhibits me from using a home made cable??? If anyone has any insight I would love to hear it.