Default My experience with the SelCalibration Message RX65

Yup, I know everyone dreads those "Self Calibration" messages on their RX65's...and yup they seem to be very popular...But today I was drivin along the interstate when I noticed my RX65 was blinking off every 10 or so seconds...no so much that it turned off but just blinked once and was fine. So I figured oh its just a bad connection, so I wiggled both connections and still kept doing it every once and a while. Then the vey popular SELF CALIBRATION pops up...no number just those words....it does it, so I turn the RD off....Turn it on...its fine...then again SELF CALIBRATION, for only a short couple of seconds....Then it goes away and everything is fine....This may have nothing to do with my problem but as soon as it went back to normal I noticed the car that had been following me this whole time passed me...I saw what I think to be a V1 in their windshield...could this have caused my problems with my RX65....I doubt it...anyways back to my story...SO now im freakin out on if my RD has taken a dive when no later than 5 minutes...a Ka alert...and sure enough bout half a mile down the road...with a curve! theres an LEO....WOW so it still works!!! I guess what i'm sayin is...these self calibration messages don't seem to be bothering my RD...It still works fine....and this is only the second time it has said Sel Calibration....maybe we are worrying for nothing?

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: My experience with the SelCalibration Message RX65

Quote Originally Posted by 1941chevy
    maybe we are worrying for nothing?
    Uh in a word....NO. This is a continuous problem with Bel units.

again tonight I have been pickin up signals just as usual...like nothing has happend to my RD...dunno maybe I just got lucky? :roll:

Yoda of Radar

I just hate to see you find out the hard (ticket) way

Lead Foot

Default Self-Cal Messages

The RX65 and its close relatives perfrom periodic self calibration when in use. If something occurs that causes the unit to fail to successfully calibrate the unit will issue a Self Cal message. This message alerts the customer to a potential problem, often times the unti will attempt to re-calibrate right away, if it is succesful then life goes on. If it cannot succesfully calibrate after some number of attempts then the SERVICE REQUIRED message occurs. Self Cal failures typically occur soon after initial start up, when the unit goes from cold to hot, like during the winter months, or when the unit is overheated after sitting in the windshield during a sunny hot summer day. As reported in earlier posts Self Cals can occur when starting a car, if the current drops too much when cranking the starter, of if the power switches ON/OFF/ON in a car's 12V plug as the key rotates from ACC/START etc. Self Cal isn't the end of the world, it can just be a hiccup. Keep driving your unit, it will tell you if it has a serious problem, that would be a SERVICE REQUIRED.

Thanks, Im just going to keep using it...hopefully everything is ok...hopefully! :shock:

Newcomer

i read somewhere that if the temp in the car gets over 140 degrees it could mess up the self cal