Newcomer

Default Mini-Fuse install problem!

I have a ford f150, and trying to install my Beltronics 985 into the fuse box so it will turn on/off with my truck through the radio fuse. On my previous suv, I put in a fuse tap and connected to it with a female connector going to the wiring kit. The suv fuse was regular size, not this smaller "mini" one I seem to have for my f150. Could I just strip off some of the insulated wire and expose it to wrap around one of the prongs that goes into the fuse? Or perhaps push it into the hole then let the fuse hold it in? Or maybe there is a mini verison of the "add-a-fuse" I know nothing about cars and cannot see any wires or know which ones I could use to do this. All help is appreciated greatly!

-Denver

Oh, Also I dont think ill be able to use a add-a-circuit device bc the cig lighter plug I might use, uses a 20A fuse. The radio I believe is a 10 or 20 as well

Newcomer

nothing??

Professional

does your cigarette lighter cut on and off with the ignition? That is where I tapped in. I am actually going to put a toggle switch in too. So that I can turn it off quickly without having to reach up and making it obvious.

Newcomer

My cig lighter stays active 24/7...what do you mean you tapped into it? Did you use one of those blue clamp plugs to clamp onto a specific wire? I'm confused by the tapping of the wires. I think if fuse taps when I hear that.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by deezy
    My cig lighter stays active 24/7...what do you mean you tapped into it? Did you use one of those blue clamp plugs to clamp onto a specific wire? I'm confused by the tapping of the wires. I think if fuse taps when I hear that.
    Yes, included in the Bel Hardwire kit, they have one of those taps that you clamp on the wire. Then you put the spade connector inside of it. Why do you want it to cut off when you cut off the car? You really should take it out when you leave the car.

Newcomer

I bought a general radar kit, comes with an inline fuse and 2 U shaped prongs. One for positive, the other for negative ground. Where can I buy one of these taps? And what size should I get to fit the wire? Also how to determine which wire to "tap" into. I don't want to carry it to and from work with me so I'll leave it in my truck as I did before, mounted above the rear-view

Professional

I bought a general radar kit, comes with an inline fuse and 2 U shaped prongs. One for positive, the other for negative ground. Where can I buy one of these taps? And what size should I get to fit the wire? Also how to determine which wire to "tap" into. I don't want to carry it to and from work with me so I'll leave it in my truck as I did before, mounted above the rear-view
    you can buy them at RadioShack. The size is determined by the size of the wire. Perhaps 18 gauge or around abouts.

Power User

You should have an open fuse for the running lights! Just add one of these to the red power wire and plug it into any 12v location in your fuse panel (fits perfect) that is turned off with the ignition!

Newcomer

I already have one of those plugs on my hardwire kit, actually one on positive and one on negative. If I could plug it into my fusebox just like that, that would be awesome, ill take some pics of my fusebox if I cant find the area you are talking about along w/ my manual pics and see what we can fig out. If I could get around the minifuse I was going to figure out how to wire into that would be excellent!

Power User

I already have one of those plugs on my hardwire kit, actually one on positive and one on negative. If I could plug it into my fusebox just like that, that would be awesome, ill take some pics of my fusebox if I cant find the area you are talking about along w/ my manual pics and see what we can fig out. If I could get around the minifuse I was going to figure out how to wire into that would be excellent!
    Yea just look in you car manual in the fuse section for the running light's location and yes you can simple just plug it in, you my have to go to the auto parts store and find a plug that is slightly small or bigger! There is a good chance that you may have some spare accessorie locations that are empty you can also use these just test em' out to be sure they turn off with the ignition!

Here you can see the red 12v power wires from my v1 and zr3, they are pluged into the fuse panel using the prong style connectors!