Old Timer

Default Bel 795 VG-2 question?

Since I was using my mom's Ford Focus, I thought today would be a good time to test out my Bel 795. I was wondering about the VG-2 detection on the 795? I don't live where VG-2 is used but want to know if turning on the VG-2, affects the detection on x,k,and ka bands? The 795 really surprised me today when it picked up an MSP officer running constant ka band .8 mile away. This really surprised me. Mk

Yoda of Radar

I don't think MI has VG2, why would they RDs are legal there.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by davekr
    Just cause they are legal for us, doesn't mean that they are legal for trucks, etc. They may want to get them as well.

But yes, since he isn't a commerical vechile, cut it off if you can. My V895 doesn't have that option, doubt the 795 does either, but don't know. Aren't Bels designed to not be detected by VG-2. Whistlers go about a different way. They try to detect it, and then shut it down. Bels just moved their LO freq. outside of VG-2 range. Right?

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by asianfire
    Just cause they are legal for us, doesn't mean that they are legal for trucks, etc. They may want to get them as well.
    Are you saying the state may have gotten VG2s to catch truckers?

Old Timer

Default Re: VG-2

I don't believe the state of MI has VG-2 units. I just wanted to find out the big difference between having VG-2 turned on/off on the Bel 795. That's all! Thanks guys, Mk

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by asianfire

But yes, since he isn't a commerical vechile, cut it off if you can. My V895 doesn't have that option, doubt the 795 does either, but don't know. Aren't Bels designed to not be detected by VG-2. Whistlers go about a different way. They try to detect it, and then shut it down. Bels just moved their LO freq. outside of VG-2 range. Right?
    my older bel express used the method used by whistler if you had VG2 detection enabled. it would alert by the presence of a vg2 rdd and would shut its LO off

Professional

Are you saying the state may have gotten VG2s to catch truckers?
    Yeah, a lot of truckers use them. I couldn't figure it out for awhile why my RD kept going off when passing a trucker, perhaps they had an RD and I was picking that up

Radar Fanatic

If a BEL has "Shadow Technology" or "Total Shield" in the specs, it cannot be picked up by VG-2. The LO uses a frequency that VG-2 cannot detect.

If a BEL has "VG-2 Guard" it looks for the VG-2's LO emissions and shuts the RD LO circuits down. That is similar to the system used by Whistler.

GTO_04