Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default New to the Vector 895

After researching somewhat extensively here recently, I decided to purchase the Bel Vector 895 based off of features, testing reports, cost, and favorable user reviews. So I just bought the detector yesterday, and I'm curious what suggestions that users of this particular RD would recommend. The "out-of-the-box" features seem to work pretty well, but being new to the detector, I'm curious what settings other would suggest to go with, what they've found to be the best/most effective, and basically what to look for and expect.

Thanks

Professional

I have ran mine on highway and autoscan and I like autoscan better, very quiet very little false alerts , but I have seen where others say do not run on autoscan becasue they say it has missed real alerts.
    I have not had that issue yet.

I mount mine just above the rear view mirror.

Power User

If you live in an area with no X band, in programming mode change city mode to No X. Then run the detector in City mode, this will make it even quieter and not reduce your K and KA detection.

Lead Foot

Thanks, boomer and Jamal.....appreciate the tips

Just one quick question....I've noticed that Cobra and Whistler advertise that their detectors alert to "Pulse Detection". What exactly does this mean, and does the V895 (and Bel RDs in general) alert to "Pulse"? And if so, how is the alert displayed?

Professional

I run mine in autoscan when I am in the city, and highway else where. There are no false alerts going to work (in a county).

Yes, the 895 has "pulse" detection as well. Pulse is the same thing as Instant On. Autoscan doesn't affect K or Ka band (on the new 895) so I heard. The older ones did on the K band.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by asianfire
    I run mine in autoscan when I am in the city, and highway else where. There are no false alerts going to work (in a county).

Yes, the 895 has "pulse" detection as well. Pulse is the same thing as Instant On. Autoscan doesn't affect K or Ka band (on the new 895) so I heard. The older ones did on the K band.
    Thanks for this info, asianfire.

I'm a little confused, though, as to what is meant by the statement highlighted in bold above. What do you mean by "doesn't affect"? Does that mean that having autoscan ON doesn't affect the detection rate on K and Ka bands.....and are you referring specifically to "pulse/instant on" detection....or just in general? Or, are you referring to something else completely? Also, what is considered an "older" 895 versus the "new" 895? And how can I tell which version I have?

Thanks

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan
    Thanks for this info, asianfire. :)

I'm a little confused, though, as to what is meant by the statement highlighted in bold above. What do you mean by "doesn't affect"? Does that mean that having autoscan ON doesn't affect the detection rate on K and Ka bands.....and are you referring specifically to "pulse/instant on" detection....or just in general? Or, are you referring to something else completely? Also, what is considered an "older" 895 versus the "new" 895? And how can I tell which version I have?

Thanks
    Yes, apparently, autoscan doesn't raise the threshold on K and Ka bands like it does on the X. As to how old? Not sure. I just read that a lot in here. I know that my autoscan doesn't affect my K band sensativity. It is just as sensative as in Highway mode. Someone else might tell you what verison did affect K band. Ka band was never affected by autoscan.

Newcomer

If they don't use x band where you live, turn x band off and run city mode. This mode does not effect k and Ka and will keep your detector at it quietest with max protection. I did read a test where autoscan delayed an alert by about one second. This is lots of time when Ka is concerned. If I can find this test I will post it for you all. On the open road I do run highway. You'll like your 895! It's the best bang for the buck!

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by tsapilot
    ...You'll like your 895! It's the best bang for the buck!
    In my opinion, it is the best that you can get under $200. I am extremely happy with it!

Newcomer

Just to elaborate a little about the autoscan and the test I refered to. The one thing that I do remember after reading the test was that it had enough of an effect on K and/or Ka that it made me not use it. I don't care about X stuff because it isn't used here. I know that my statement may start some controversy and that would not be my intention. The more I think about it, K band was probably the one effected. It would be hard to believe that Ka band would have any filtering. Anyways having X off will make the 895 far quieter than using autoscan. Have fun! Also, autoscan seemed to make no difference where I live and drive.