Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Autoscan - Rx 65 - best mode or not?

I have used this detector for the last couple of years with great results (ie - no tickets!)

I always have it on 'Autoscan' mode...however I hear now that using 'highway' mode will give me better range and more warning...is this true?

Has anyone tried it?

Im in NZ and cops only use Ka over here....X and K bands were stopped being used years ago. (they still have 12 K units for training purposes only)

They also use lidar (they have some problems tho due to donut icing making the controls too sticky..)

Anyone here compared Autoscan to highway mode and noticed different reslults between the two?

Cheers.

Power User

Highway mode will yield better detection, few extra feet, few extra seconds, when your traveling at highway speeds, every second helps. Where as driving slowing speeds in the city the difference is barely noticable.

When you hauling assss, it doesn't hurt using maximum sensitivity on highway mode.

BTW doesn't NZ just use Ka and laser, in that case we are all jealous. In reality what do you need to filter for, might as well just leave it in highway mode. :wink:

(disable X and K band of course)

V1 Zombie

Because we have alot of "JUNK" detector's here and the bell's false alert to each and every one of them on Ka.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by ghz1
    Because we have alot of "JUNK" detector's here and the bell's false alert to each and every one of them on Ka.
    OLD Vector manual stated that autoscan only filtered X and K band. As for the new manual it does not tell you anyhting. So best guess, autoscan does not even filter Ka so whats the point if thats the case.

Newcomer

Default no falses....hardly ever!

On Autoscan...I have only ever had a dozen a false alert to my knowledge.

One is near my mates old bomb with my old uniden detector on when we are driving near each other in the middle of no where?

Probably travelled 40,000kms and as far as I can remember....all alerts have been cops.

I will try highway mode for a while and keep posted.

Have just fitted the unit to my bike and still getting great results.

V1 Zombie

Interesting my old 990 int falsed a bit less on Ka with auto scan on it was slow to pick up Ka speed camera's (34.6 ghz) as well by 3/4 sec or so. So im sure auto scan filters Ka if not what does? Ive found my old Rx 65 to be a nightmare on ka false alert's..... What im thinking is that in New Zealand we have alot more one lane roads so the cars are closer to each other when head on which inturn sets off ka alerts alot more......As i stated in another post how do bell address ka falseing? is this question too hard to answer or something :shock:

Professional

Autoscan doesn't filter Ka. It use to filter X and K, but only X on the newer models. My 895 only filters X. I haven't noticed any difference between Highway and Autoscan on K or Ka bands. However, I still put it on Highway if I am not in the city where it falses like mad on X band.

Radar Fanatic

The consensus seems to be that Autoscan works different on older BELs compared to newer ones. Users of newer BELs seem to be happy with Autoscan mode. On my 985, I find that autoscan really cuts down on false alarms. But it also cuts way down on warning range, even on K band.

I prefer to run my 985 on highway mode, and sometimes city X if there are a lot of X band falses around.

GTO_04

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by GTO_04
    The consensus seems to be that Autoscan works different on older BELs compared to newer ones. Users of newer BELs seem to be happy with Autoscan mode. On my 985, I find that autoscan really cuts down on false alarms. But it also cuts way down on warning range, even on K band.

I prefer to run my 985 on highway mode, and sometimes city X if there are a lot of X band falses around.

GTO_04
    Thats becuase on older model BEL's AutoScan reduced the sensitivity on K band and X band, on newer models such as the RX65 , K band and Ka band are untouched by AutoScan. (This could be a good or a bad thing for you all)

Radar Fanatic

I did quite a few runs against a stationary Ka radar with different settings once.

Autoscan vs. highway I never once saw a difference when the detector was in USA mode. When it was in INTL, the range varied so wildly that I was unable to test.