Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Mounting location...2001 Audi S4

My Blinder M20 is on it's way and I am seeking some opinions on mounting locations.

There is little room behind the upper hood mounted grill, and there is no way to cut that mesh and still retain a clean inconspicuous look. The lower left and right grills, which incorporate the fog lights, are infront of dual side mounted intercoolers so it would be detrimental to mount them there.

So the lower center grill area is the remaining location. There are two grills seperated by the horizontal bar. I haven't measured yet, but that bar appears to be a bit greater the 13mm which is, I believe, the dimension of the receiver/transmitter. Looking at the front lower center grill, I could mount them under the top edge of the upper opening, just below the space where the euro front bumper would go. They chould be flush mounted up high and under the bumper edge. This would probably the least noticable from any angle other then straight on and close to the ground especially if I set them back an inch or two.

I could mount them in the lowest location along the very bottom edge of that grill mesh but I think from in front of the car they would be very visible..

Or, I could notch the horizontal center bar and set them in the bar...alot of work and I think it would interrupt the flow of the horizontal bar.

So I am thinking the first option is best...

* How would this be for performance assuming I notch out the cross-hatch mesh so the front of the units are unobstructed?

* Are they too low?

* Is this far enough apart??

I will use the Blinder in conjunction with a V1 with a custom install. I have read as much as I could find about Veil, and although it seems like a perfect combination (Veil, V1 & Blinder) I am not prepared to smoke/tint my headlights in any way...so that is not in the plan at this time.

Thanks in advance!!

Suf Daddy

You on Long Island?

I'd say near the lights just above the front plate should work......

I'd watch the GOL test results for their placements.........

-Suf Daddy

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Suf Daddy
    You on Long Island?

I'd say near the lights just above the front plate should work......

I'd watch the GOL test results for their placements.........

-Suf Daddy
    Sorry for the noob questions... GOL = ??

And, another noob question...what happened to my picture..?? seems to have been deleted from my post???

Scratonicity Groupie

I'll post you the pictures from my roommates 2000 S4. With a blinder m-20 with proven results but VEIL is a 100% must.

Advanced Member

Hey LI-S4 from Long Island...I can test your jammer when you get it with my gun if you like

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    Hey LI-S4 from Long Island...I can test your jammer when you get it with my gun if you like
    I saw one of your posts about testing...I could gather a few folks from the Audi community for a test day...most are running Lidatek...I'll keep you posted!!

Where are you?? Back and forth to Rochester for work if I remember your posts...

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by thestaton
    I'll post you the pictures from my roommates 2000 S4. With a blinder m-20 with proven results but VEIL is a 100% must.
    Truth be told...for as good as it is...I don't know if I can handle the look of it. Plus my headlight housings have X-Pel 3m protector on them to prevent rocks and chips. Not sure how that would take to Veil.

Iwish there were a flexible, removable version...I would attach it during thos spirited drives for an extra level of protection....

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by LI-S4
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    I saw one of your posts about testing...I could gather a few folks from the Audi community for a test day...most are running Lidatek...I'll keep you posted!!

Where are you?? Back and forth to Rochester for work if I remember your posts...
    I go to college in between Rochester and Syracuse. I usually make the trip on the thruway at least once a month. But my stuff really comes in handy when I am going home to LI

I two have a lidatek which I might either sell or use it in addition to a newer jammer...

Finding Laser traps on Long Island is next to impossible. I hardly ever see any radar unless i get on the northern state where i see the occassional trooper

You in Suffolk or Nassau

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Scratonicity Groupie

Sorry, if you can not use VEIL then the Blinder is not meant for your car. There is to much chrome, to much flatness, and the headlights reach around the side of the car to much.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by thestaton
    Sorry, if you can not use VEIL then the Blinder is not meant for your car. There is to much chrome, to much flatness, and the headlights reach around the side of the car to much.
    I'd like to discuss this further...

There is not a stitch of chrome on the car...all badges are color matched to the body color, and the grill and Audi rings are as well.

The wheels are polished aluminum..is that what you are referring to?? this is the first I am hearing of LEO targetting wheels for a laser reading...is that what you are inferring? If so...can you tell me more?

The headlights are a problem...I agree. But as I said, they have an X-Pel membrane on them that I am sure will not take to the the Veil coating too well.

Are you saying that a laser jammer would be totally ineffective solely because of the headlights? I believe there has to be some degree of incremental protection afforded even taking into consideration that there is still some exposure...

Blinder = zero effectiveness because of the headlights?