Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Experienced

Default Can you go to jail for having a laser jammer?

I'm considering getting a blinder m20-xtreme. I don't know if its legal or not to jam police laser. I've owned an x50 for the past 2 years, and it works great, however I'm seeing more and more laser in New Jersey, and specifically New York State (I.E. I-87.)

Is it legal to jam police radar? Or are you only suppose to jam until you are around the speed limit, and then release the jammer?

Can someone provide me with some information...

Thanks

Scratonicity Groupie

In a little over a year I've been on the forum we have only had 1 pesron get jail time for there jammer. He was sentenced to 6 months in a county jail & 6 months of community service! It was something like obstruction of justice, wreckless driving, impeading police etc.

The sad thing he was from NJ!!!! They really dont mess around up there!

GOT YA :twisted:

Laser jammers are 100% LEGAL in NJ, so you wont get in trouble for having one. However it is good practice that once you slow down to turn the jammer off, to not attract attention to yourself

Sorry for the joke but I could not resist

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by yemntftb
    I'm considering getting a blinder m20-xtreme. I don't know if its legal or not to jam police laser. (I.E. I-87.)
    Thanks
    You'll want to read up on any laser jammer law in your state. There are no Federal laws against laser jammers just state laws. You need to know what is considered illegal & consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by yemntftb
    Is it legal to jam police radar? Or are you only suppose to jam until you are around the speed limit, and then release the jammer?
    Can someone provide me with some information...
    Thanks
    Radar jammers are a Federal Felony I'd stay away from them & it's pretty easy for a LEO to know his radar is being jammed.

Speed Demon

Ahh thestaton you got me on that one.. Funny..

Experienced

Nice, we've got a joker. Well is the m-20 xtreme good enough, I really no nothing about jammers, but Im tired of being worried about getting sniped by laser.

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by thestaton
    In a little over a year I've been on the forum we have only had 1 pesron get jail time for there jammer. He was sentenced to 6 months in a county jail & 6 months of community service! It was something like obstruction of justice, wreckless driving, impeading police etc.

dude- i even thought of taking off my jammers after reading that ****!

GOT YA :twisted:

Laser jammers are 100% LEGAL in NJ, so you wont get in trouble for having one. However it is good practice that once you slow down to turn the jammer off, to not attract attention to yourself

Sorry for the joke but I could not resist

Scratonicity Groupie

what kind of ride is it going on?

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by thestaton

dude- i even thought of taking off my jammers after reading that ****!

Power User

Radar jammers don't work anyway, well except for the Scorpion but it is big, expensive, and requires a lot of maintenance.

I think you can go to jail for using a radar jammer since it is a federal offense. I think it would be diffcult for law enforcement to figure out you have a radar jammer. And if a local or state LEO found you with one I don't think they would enforce federal law since they are not federal law enforcement, they would probably just charge you with whatever state law you violated by having one but I don't know this for sure.

Laser jammers on the other hand are legal in most states except for Virginia, Washington DC, Minnesota, California, Colorado, Nebraska, Utah, Illonois, and I think Oklahoma.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by stealthJamal
    I think it would be diffcult for law enforcement to figure out you have a radar jammer..
    What about the odd Doppler tone the officer will hear as a car equipped with a radar jammer goes by?

You would go to jail for having a radar jammer, all law enforcement enforce federal laws.