Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Experienced

Default Impossible to Mount Blinder in 88 VETTE

greetings,

i was contemplating a radar "jammer" and ran into some very interesting problems!....i drive a 1988 corvette and as you may know, is very low to the ground.....according to what i understand, the BLINDER units must be mounted outside and not behind glass for them to
    work...well, that is a "let-down" for sure!

***i cannot mount the laser modules in the area that is for the turn signals or driving/running/signal lights and to note, there are no openings and no grill at the front...newer corvettes intake air from the bottom)....so, where do i mount the laser modules w/o drilling into any fiberglass or urethane body parts???

***since the front bumper cover wraps around the the front and under the car, the units cannot be mounted there (urethane) as above. further, there is a small steel "intake" of sorts that habitually scrapes the ground and speed bumps in parking lots so, the modules cannot be mounted there.........that leaves nowhere and no front coverage, unless someone can send me an actual picture of a c-4 1988 vette and it's mounting to
    prove me wrong, taking into consideration the above.

also, if a blinder was mounted so very far under the car, let me use this scenario as an example;

.....an leo is 500' - 700 feet away and holding a laser speed measuring gun at approx eye level which is say 5' 10''' above common grade (average height to eyes of officer) .....i have my vette in plain sight of the "gun".......the angle of the laser would be in a slightly downward plane to shoot the license plate area or the headlight area (no license plates are required here in florida and thusly, i do not have one or the bracket for such mounting)........

.....now, with the unit(s) mounted so far under the car as mentioned above, and the laser "beam"coming in relatively from the top (unless the gun was mounted 5'' off of the road surface!) most of (if not all) the surface area of the blinder "lense" would be hidden and greatly reduce any performance, ugh!.....

**lastly, the car is low and we have established that. in florida, we have some torrential rains and some pretty deep roadway accumulations of
    water. when the car "hits" that puddle, the force of the displaced water will most surely rip off and or damage the jammer as well as pull out any
    screws through the body and, as we all know, the force of water is very great (i went through 4 huricanes recently here in florida and that
    doesn't include the force of the
    wind!).........

........please advise and i will be
    looking for some real-time pictures of actual installations....thanks!

Radar Fanatic

If you had a picture of the car i could try and help.

Experienced

.....i have a pict of front of car but, the pict i have doesnt go "low enough" to show what i mean...i

......n the mean time, i will post pict in next reply........thanks for the response.......however, i would moreso be interested in anyone with a c-4 86-90 vette to post a pict.....

Experienced

ok.....here is the front...tomorrow, i will lay on ground and take pict of the front at eye level.....

Cheetah Rep

yeah, some close-ups of the bottom area will be helpful.
    then we can probably come up with some mounting options.

one thing i can answer though, is i wouldn't be concerned about any puddles of water hitting and damaging them.

my 2 lowest heads were buried in a river of running water during our last monsoon season, and they survived undamaged. the water was so high and moving so fast, it was going over the TOP of my truck as i went through it. (4 wheel drive of course).

that was with double sided tape. they were "loosened a bit" but definitely no damage. if they were screwed to the frame or bumper area they would have not even come a bit loose around the tape area.

Not to mention, if you're in that fast and high of moving water in a vette, you've got other problems.

Also, FYI in case it's a typo, Blinder jams laser, not radar. :wink:

i was contemplating a radar "jammer" and ran into some very interesting problems!....i drive a 1988 corvette and as you may know, is very low to the ground.....according to what i understand, the BLINDER units must be mounted outside and not behind glass for them to

And welcome to the forum.

Experienced

ok.........here is a few picts.......

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX
    yeah, some close-ups of the bottom area will be helpful.
    then we can probably come up with some mounting options.

one thing i can answer though, is i wouldn't be concerned about any puddles of water hitting and damaging them.

my 2 lowest heads were buried in a river of running water during our last monsoon season, and they survived undamaged. the water was so high and moving so fast, it was going over the TOP of my truck as i went through it. (4 wheel drive of course).

that was with double sided tape. they were "loosened a bit" but definitely no damage. if they were screwed to the frame or bumper area they would have not even come a bit loose around the tape area.

Not to mention, if you're in that fast and high of moving water in a vette, you've got other problems.

Also, FYI in case it's a typo, Blinder jams laser, not radar. :wink:

And welcome to the forum.
    .......thanks for the welcome.......yes, it was a typo on the "radar" instead of "laser".........as far as the water goes, i am not too concerned about water damage but, more concerned about the water detaching a module if the water hits it hard enough and either detaches it and i drag it for a few miles not knowing or, if it was screwed into fiberglass or urethane, it would rip it out of the holes and crack the fiberglass. so, mounting to same is not an option here which really cuts down on me buying a jammer....

......you have a truck so, no real worries there and you probably have a grill too.....i have tried industrial strength velcro for other things in my car but, it gets so darn hot down here, the adhesive turns to mush........

Experienced

.....while everyone is thinking of a solution to the problem which i see has no solution, what is the difference between the m10 and the m-20?.....thanks!

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by da mail man
    .....while everyone is thinking of a solution to the problem which i see has no solution, what is the difference between the m10 and the m-20?.....thanks!
    The M10 is their second laser jammer to come out, The M20/M40 Blinder Extreme is the most recent and up-2-date Blinder.

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Professional

you might be able to mount them right below the license plate, but yes you have to drill the bumper otherwise no way