Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Need help...BMW 545 Blinder location (see pic)

Hi everyone,
    Once the new Blinder comes out, I plan on buying the 2 head unit. In the meantime, I am trying to figure out where to put it. Please note...although MA requires a plate, I have been driving without one for 3 months with no problems and I don't plan on putting one one.
    Here are the options:
    Red: place in brake air intake (I doubt this will affect airflow enough to be a concern) for good headlight coverage but, it's low!
    Yellow: center mass, but low!
    Green: center mass, somewhat close to headlights, high, but behind vertical grill slats
    Pink: all the benefits of green, but vertical!

Thanks for the help!

Advanced Member

Yellow and red are not too low I had problems protecting my car with my blinder heads low

You also can't mount blinder head vertical it will screw up their performance drastically and you CAN not mount the blinder head behind anything it needs a open view of the road.

Here is a suggestion get a Blinder m20 with an extra head and mount the extra head inbetween the yellow and the other heads at red...put some veil on and you will be protected

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Banned

Default Re: Need help...BMW 545 Blinder location (see pic)

Quote Originally Posted by KCooke82
    Once the new Blinder comes out, I plan on buying the 2 head unit.
    You don't want to wait for independent testing first? The blinder has historically been an inferior performer to the latest diode jammers.

Now for your question I think you should go with yellow if you can only put two heads on there.

JTW

Newcomer

3 things...
    I definately do not want to use veil.
    I am open to using three heads if deemed necessary.
    I will definately be waiting for independent testing. At first I was set on the Lidatek, but the company's future is not certain. What other diode jammers are out there?

One last thing...can I use adhesive tape instead of brackets? I was planning on mounting the transpoinders with adhesive tape on the top...any thoughts? Thanks.

So, any other thoughts on location? Thanks!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KCooke82
    3 things...
    I definately do not want to use veil.
    I am open to using three heads if deemed necessary.
    I will definately be waiting for independent testing. At first I was set on the Lidatek, but the company's future is not certain. What other diode jammers are out there?

So, any other thoughts on location? Thanks!
    I wouldn't destroy your headlights with Veil either. Mouse had to replace his headlights because it permenantly stained them :-(

For right now I think most people agree the LPP is the best diode jammer, followed by the AL G8.

Do you just want the best performance or are you shooting for 'best bang for the buck?'

JTW

Newcomer

I am looking for best performance and ease of use/install. I didn't even consider the LPP or AL because I hadn't not come across them yet. Perhaps I need to continue with my research!
    So, I guess I am back to square one!
    If Lidatek is out of the picture, and LLP and AL are two different companies, and diodes are the way to go, how do I buy a LLP? Are we sure that the new blinder will NOT be using diodes? And if this is true, will LLP still be regarded as the best bet?

Old Timer

Nice ride! 8)

---

I'm currently in the same boat you are (my ZR3's front emitters finally took a dump) - waiting until the new testing comes up, both from Team JTG and also from GOL. It's gonna be a wait, but I think that it'll be worth it.

I will await the new testing.

As for using adhesive tape, the only stuff I'd use would be "3M Automotive Trim/Mo(u)lding Tape."

Usually found in either the paint/refinishing section or the adhesives section of your local automotive parts retailer, it's typically blister-packed in a "roll," in a black-background package with yellow and white text lettering. The tape is grey in color, and appears about a little less than 1/16th inch thick, in the packaged "roll." It's backed on both sides by a red plastic film, and so in the blister pack, on the display shelf, its outermost band will be red in color.

I love this stuff - it's what most modern auto-makers use to affix exterior badges, molding, and trim to vehicles, and is extremely weather resistant. On/in the of the vehicle, inside or out, it will easily retain its stickiness through sub-zero weather or in blistering direct summer sunlight. The only thing to keep in-mind is that you should thoroughly pre-clean the mounting surface (rubbing alcohol, with a clean lint-free pad, works great; remember to let dry before using the adhesive!), and that it should initially be affixed only at moderate temperatures (typically between 60 to 80 deg. F.).

Removal is actually quite easy (just use some muscle and peel it off), and typically, on interior surfaces, leaves absolutely no trace of adhesives (if you painted interior trim pieces yourself, though, be aware that unless you've properly preped and primed, you're more than likely going to take off that top layer of paint; for OEM painted surfaces, though, in my experience, it's completely safe, even for extended use). For exterior painted surfaces, a little heat, plus the use of dental floss, may be required to facilitate removal - and you may need to clean the surface of residual adhesive using a solvent and/or paint-safe plastic scraper.

----

But meanwhile, here was my previous consideration:

I was really all-set to plunk down for the 4-head Blinder unit to cover my Legacy.... My vehicle is lowered, so I had some doubts as to whether or not a low-mount position, one that best covers the front plate on my vehicle (I live in an area where enforcement actually tickets for front-plate violations) would cause the upper corners of my headlamp units to lie outside the effective radius of the Blinder. At the same time, even mounting the remaining two emitters as far apart as I could get them on the upper grill, I still have the same issue.

I'm not sure if this will be an option for you, but on my vehicle, you can "cook open" the headlight housings (which I've done, three times) - and I thought about high-mounting the second set of emitters there.

But the question remains, and I've seen this one so-far un-answered:

Can the Blinder units be mounted "inside" the polymer-plastic headlamp housing, behind the clear lens?

Would the lens decrease effectiveness of the Blinder so much that it would make it not feasible/recommended?

Newcomer

Interesting post...thanks for the input!

So far, I have heard from numerous people that diodes outperform the LED's used in the blinders, hands down. So right I am pretty much on the fence between LPP and AL. My problem is that I do not know if I can wait another 3-4 months. In that time I will have out on 12,000 miles as I have a sales job. This fall I was lasered 8-10 times, and I got lucky the times I was speeding!

I want to try to figure this out asap.

Old Timer

^ Me too....

Although I put nowhere near as many miles as you do on your vehicle (great choice of which vehicle to do those miles in, BTW!), I live in an area where surface-street laser enforcement is not uncommon.

I wanted to get my laser countermeasures up, right-away, too.

Your situation would definitely make things harder, your need more pressing.

My understanding, too, is that the diode units are much, much more effective at providing protection than the LED-based units. However, from the standpoint of simply reducing PT range and giving me enough time to slow down to near-legal speeds (which is more what I'm after, as, simply out of consideration for enforcement practices, I would like to stay away from total JTG performance), it seems that a good LED-based unit would do just as well. Certainly, I have had nothing but excellent results from even just my ZR3, with only two heads up-front.

What would you think about re-selling your Blinder units once new testing comes on-line? This may be feasible if your budget allows.

Unfortunately, that's not a viable option for me - since the baby, I've been shunting ever more of my "fun money" to become her "fun money!"

Newcomer

Intersting reminder...
    I am not about stealth JTG performance either...I just want time to slow down. That is one reason a 8 second timer is appealing to me on the diode models...it is all automatic.
    I am sure the Blinder's could suffice, but I have heard that they are not as good for long distance and using the veil product is highly advised because of punchthrough problems. In addition, the transponders are large and at least two are required.
    Even if I did buy the Blinder, they have an updated version coming out this spring, so I couldn't justify buying one now.
    I have multiple pm's to forum members and emails to both AL and LPP so I will let you know what I find.