Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Professional

Default Eye Safe Blinder-m20 How Safe ?

hy ,

i received my m-20 , the instruction says that it is safe for the eyes,however the manufacturer states to not stare at the output leds for long time .

Since i ''played'' a lot with it before installing it , is it problematic or just an extra precaution .

Is it related that since i have it , my sight is a bit weaker or is it the effect of the age or squarely subjective ?

I do avoid looking at it at close range .

More light on the subject is appreciated.

Good Citizen

I think the whole don't look at it thing came from a misconeption that Lidar was actually laser.

It's just IR. Completely safe.

Good Citizen

But not recommended, its like IR LED reflector when active.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by synmoo
    I think the whole don't look at it thing came from a misconeption that Lidar was actually laser.

It's just IR. Completely safe.
    I think you're confusing terms. LIDAR does use lasers, though they're operating in the infrared part of the spectrum. The Blinder and other jammers transmit at the same wavelength, but not in a concentrated, aligned (laser) beam.

Infrared light can cause eye damage, though I'd imagine that one reason that the 904 nm. frequency for police LIDAR was chosen because it's fairly safe. Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about normal exposure to the Blinder, but I'd also take some precautions not to overdo it. I seriously doubt that you could cause noticeable eye damage during installation or alignment of the units.

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Eye Safe Blinder-m20 How Safe ?

Quote Originally Posted by 411radarlover
    hy ,

i received my m-20 , the instruction says that it is safe for the eyes,however the manufacturer states to not stare at the output leds for long time .

Since i ''played'' a lot with it before installing it , is it problematic or just an extra precaution .

Is it related that since i have it , my sight is a bit weaker or is it the effect of the age or squarely subjective ?

I do avoid looking at it at close range .

More light on the subject is appreciated.
    Heh, "more light on the subject"

I don't think you have too much trouble, you know the little laser pointers they use on office meetings? It isn't a good idea to put one in front of your eye and stare at it when it's on... but it isn't going to make you blind...

Good Citizen

Default Re: Eye Safe Blinder-m20 How Safe ?

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    I don't think you have too much trouble, you know the little laser pointers they use on office meetings? It isn't a good idea to put one in front of your eye and stare at it when it's on... but it isn't going to make you blind...
    I've heard to go "blind" from staring at the sun you have to do it for over a minute. I wont deny that I have stared directly into it on a sunny day (i swear it looks crazy) when I was younger, but have had no ill effects.

As for laser pointers... a quick glance (probably) wont do anything. But if you are to stare at it for a few seconds, you may get spot blindness, which may or may not heal over a period of time. An indeterminate amount of time longer and you will go blind.

Caution: Do not stare into laser with remaining eye.

Yoda of Radar

A while ago, I was removing the dash from one of my cars. This put me in a position where I was lying on my back on part of the seat, carpet etc. Not terribly comfortable... Anyway I am like this and I moved to a point where the sun was directly in my eyes. I quickly closed my eyelids and moved but my eyes felt like fried up real good...

Experienced

I'd suggest not staring into any laser at all. I saw a research on that, for that least powerfull laser (like pen pointer etc.) it would take couple seconds to blind you. Anything more powerfull, can blind you in matter of miliseconds! And it will be permanent.

I'd be carefull not to stare at running blinder too much. It won't make you blind, but it can damage your eyes! Imagine staring directly at the set of powerfull visible light LED's, your eyes would hurt. The difference here is that you don't see the light, so it doesn't hurt, but it still does the damage! And with visible light your pupils will narrow down, but with infrared they won't so youll be taking extra damage.

Professional

Thanks for your inputs.
    Really i tested my blinder with an Osprey laser range/speed.
    It set off the m-20 and i can see the led emitting using a numeric camera.Altough i placed 2 thickness of electrical tape(black) ,just letting the sensing led without mask. Well i thought it was enough to stop all light , even with the tape i can still see the glow of infrared light ,
    of course always using the camera .I can see now how powerfull are those emitting leds !

Since i saw your comments , my sight seems better now .

Professional

It wont be the cornea that is burnt... it is the retina.