Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default My 04 M3 mount. What I did and why: Pics attached

Here is what I did and why I did it.

I looked at the standard mount at the center intake but decided to put them in the brake cooling ducts. (I used 3M permanent double stick tape on the bottom of the brackets to hold them into position. [Radio Shack]Make sure you first clean the plastic with rubbing alcohol to ensure a good clean area to stick to.)

I wanted a fairly stealthy mount and did not want the jammers protruding out the front. (My original idea was put them in the center intake and to cut a small section of the plastic grate and recess them to be even with the fender. So if this is your position of choice I would recommend recessing them.)

The brake cooling duct however puts them closer to the headlights where I think the most reflectivity is. (Since I do not have a front license plate and my car is dark I think the logical LEO aiming point will be the headlights.)

Since the included jammer mounts are limited in their application I decided to fabricate some new ones out of aluminum. I then ran the wires through flex tube piping and through the firewall grommet. I took the ground off the ground pole located in the area near the firewall grommet. (See picture)
    Power is from a Red wire with white line, (Switched), from the back of the fuse box located under the passenger side dash.

I wanted the On-Off switch near the SMG handle so I could quickly access it with out looking. If you move straight down a few inches you will note a small hole. The speaker is mounted on the other side of the plastic there.

Also under this plastic I put the Blinder connections so I would have easy access in the future if I need it. There is plenty of room.

The hardest part was getting the SMG handle off. Just pull straight up and pull like hell. (Watch out for the rear view mirror though.)

Hope this helps any future M3 installers.

Walt

Speedtrap Crasher

Nice install! Nice ride too 8)
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200

Lead Foot

Excellent job on the nice clean install. People always wonder why I tear out my dash etc to install my electronics but in the end it is so worth the extra effort.

Professional

Nice Install. Where Did u Place the Actual Headz Though? Got any More Picturez of Em?

Good Citizen

Just click on the 5th picture. I mounted them just inside the brake cooling tunnels.

Old Timer

Excellent install! 8)

I especially like how much you'd thought-out your switch-actuation needs/preferences - not to say the least of how clean your installation looks.

I'm also glad to see yet another DIY-wrench here as well.

In any case, I would furthermore like to suggest that you do save up a few bucks here and there over the course of the next few weeks/months (maybe one less cup of java each day? or a skipped snack/smoke? - you get the idea!) so that you do get a third head to protect center-mass.

Yes, without a front-plate, the headlights/fogs indeed become the "best" targets in an academic sense, but real-world enforcement techniques can vary, and also we must account for how hard it is to shoot hand-held laser at a moving (speedy, no less) target - thus the attractiveness of center-mass, regardless of plate presence. Taking into account also the fact that center-mass on most vehicles, including yours, presents a nice, upright target surface with plenty of material that will typically offer decent laser reflectivity...well...you can imagine.

Nice ride - I do sincerely wish you many happy, speedy, safe, and ticket-free miles! 8)

Good Citizen

TSi+WRX,

You are correct I do have lack of coverage between the two jammers located 36 inches apart. I will add a middle jammer.

Thanks for the heads up.

Walt

Old Timer

^ No need to thank me, just glad to help another enthusiast.

And I didn't mean to insult you - and hopefully, you didn't take it that way ops: - regarding the "budget" remark. I'm a family man, and my hobby-budget has gone down the drain since my baby Anna was born a year or so ago.

Now, I've gotta save my pennies....with the whole dollars going in to her college fund.

Power User

Default Re: My 04 M3 mount. What I did and why: Pics attached

Quote Originally Posted by WaltBurkett
    Here is what I did and why I did it.

I looked at the standard mount at the center intake but decided to put them in the brake cooling ducts. (I used 3M permanent double stick tape on the bottom of the brackets to hold them into position. [Radio Shack]Make sure you first clean the plastic with rubbing alcohol to ensure a good clean area to stick to.)

I wanted a fairly stealthy mount and did not want the jammers protruding out the front. (My original idea was put them in the center intake and to cut a small section of the plastic grate and recess them to be even with the fender. So if this is your position of choice I would recommend recessing them.)

The brake cooling duct however puts them closer to the headlights where I think the most reflectivity is. (Since I do not have a front license plate and my car is dark I think the logical LEO aiming point will be the headlights.)

Since the included jammer mounts are limited in their application I decided to fabricate some new ones out of aluminum. I then ran the wires through flex tube piping and through the firewall grommet. I took the ground off the ground pole located in the area near the firewall grommet. (See picture)
    Power is from a Red wire with white line, (Switched), from the back of the fuse box located under the passenger side dash.

I was curious where is the speaker again? is it under the hole about 6 inches down from the power switch?

I wanted the On-Off switch near the SMG handle so I could quickly access it with out looking. If you move straight down a few inches you will note a small hole. The speaker is mounted on the other side of the plastic there.

Also under this plastic I put the Blinder connections so I would have easy access in the future if I need it. There is plenty of room.

The hardest part was getting the SMG handle off. Just pull straight up and pull like hell. (Watch out for the rear view mirror though.)

Hope this helps any future M3 installers.

Walt

Power User

Default Re: My 04 M3 mount. What I did and why: Pics attached

I messed up with my last posting.

I was curious where is the speaker again? is it under the hole about 6 inches down from the power switch? Also, if it is under the panel can you hear it?