Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Have BLinder M25 for front - Is there any rear Protection??

Installed BLinder M25/Veil for front coverage. Is there anything that will give me ANY protection from being Lasered off my rear lic plate??

Old Timer

A diode jammer in the rear is probably one of the only ways to get any sort of real protection in the back.

Old Timer

^ +1.

Either that, or a simply overwhelming number of LED-based heads.

The problem is that for the rear, the plate isn't the only concern. Most vehicles are really rather upright/flat back there, and with additional trim (badging, chrome, etc.) as well as the highly reflective rear lighting and supplemental reflector elements (either buried within the actual lighting assembly or as additional stand-alones) all contribute to a true nightmare scenario.

A single diode-based head above or below the rear plate will confer probably anywhere from 300 to 800 ft. of "from gun" jamming distance, assuming that the enforcer targets only the rear plate. But since there's so much other area, and since panning over to the tail-lights is just so easy, given a more conservative outlook, it's really hard to say that even with today's diode-based jammers, anything less than two is really "enough," even for average-sized vehicles without any undue hard-points.

Newcomer

Default Rear Hit

Unfortunally the rear hit would be at a much closer range <200 ft
    ie freeway exit ramp (actual event)
    Officer stated he was "aiming for the rear plate"

Ok so..short of buying another head - can you put VEIL on a clear plastic rear plate cover?? or its it too darK??
    I've seen some anti laser plate covers -is there really such a thing or are they refering to photo camera??
    Thanks for all you replies!!

Old Timer

I don't know about Veiling your plate. Maybe putting a Laser Shield would attract less attention.

Dressing your reflectors with Veil and covering/dressing your plate may help a jammer, but by themselves they will do nothing. If you want rear protection, you're going to need at least one diode jammer head.

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by ELVATO
    I don't know about Veiling your plate. Maybe putting a Laser Shield would attract less attention.
    ^ I think that either solution, at-the-rear, where enforcers are more likely to see, even during routine non-enforcement situations, such dressing measures, is likely asking for trouble.

VEIL would be feasible, IMveryHO, only if you kept the rest of the car either "dark," aesthetically, or with a rather dirty vehicle as camouflage.

The LaserShield may work if you were inclined to put a true-sealing (i.e. gasket-surround type) plate-cover over the combo, so as to keep out moisture (since the LS is *very* apparent once any water makes its way between it and the plate), but this may compound plate-law woes.

A final possibility is the 3M Clear Duct Tape. There have been members here who have reported good results - visually - with use of this measure. However, it is not a measure that I would recommend for plates which carry significant "holographic" treatment (same, in terms of a non-reflective replica plate).

Dressing your reflectors with Veil and covering/dressing your plate may help a jammer, but by themselves they will do nothing. If you want rear protection, you're going to need at least one diode jammer head.
    ^ For this, I'm definitely on-board and in-agreement.

Newcomer

Default Rear Protection

Wouldn't VEIL-ing your plate be really noticable??
    I already have veil on my headlights - it's DARK.

The 3M Duct tape cuts the Reflectiviness of the plate??
    That would seem to be the ticket

There is a Review of the lasershield plate cover on RdarBusters-it's actually been tested by some users:
    " I have tested this product and it hardly helps when soley being used in conjunction with a radar detector. This product is best used when painted lightly with Veil. I have a metallic silver car and this combo gave me about 1.5 seconds to slow down"

I think I will look at the 3M Duct tape
    THanks for your comments
    Steve

Speed Demon

In all honesty, I wouldn't even worry about trying to cover your back. Laser attacks are already so few a far between for the most part, and only the smallest fraction of those are from the back. Even if you did, the laser attack begins at a distance where punchthroughs are likely even at the front of a vehicle, where shape is much more in your favor. So when you put that same attack on the back... it doesn't seem like there's much of a chance of you being protected. Unless of course you have the non-existent laser interceptor.

Newcomer

Default Rear Protection

I agree - you;d be within the punch thru range.
    TQUILL- I see you sold your X50 and STI for a V1 !!

I was going to sell my X50 for the STI !!
    In retrospect - which of the 3 dectors do you like Best??

Thanks
    Steve
    I currently have X50 - BLinder M25 (3 heads) and VEIL

Speed Demon

Hmm well that's a bit of a hard question. The X50 was a great detector, but I had it back when I wasn't really experienced with detectors. With that said, it never let me down, I feel like I always had good warning with it.

I sold it just to try the STi. I had read from radar roy that it had a longer Ka detection. The STi was pretty good too, but while I had it, I felt as if the Ka wasn't all that great. I mean sometimes it would be awesome and get great detection of Ka, and then others not so good at all... I couldn't really explain it. I guess it could have been the 33.8 issue or whatever, but no way to no for sure.

Now to the V1. People told me it would be too chatty and that it would annoy the hell out of me. I always drove with my other ones on highway so I would always have good sensitivity. So with that in mind, this detector has not been any more chatty than the others always on highway mode. Plus with the k-band automute and logic modes, it's actually quieter than my other detectors. It seems more customizeable in that way. I really like it.

The one thing that really helps with the V1 is the arrows. Ok you know when you're driving and you get a weak K-band alert? Well before with the other detectors, I would always slow down... And it got tiresome... b/c those little one alert k band alerts in towns are somewhat frequent ya know? It got to the point where I would ignore it unless it started beeping more.... well the STi gave me a ticket in that way. It once beeped one k-band alert... and i thought "oh probably just doors"... then it went from one alert to like full almost instantly and I got that ticket. I know I wasn't being smart about it and other detectors may have failed me there too... but I thought it was probably just the doors I had passed a couple hundred feet back...

Well with the V1 you can check the arrows, so now I only slow down if the arrows are to the side or ahead of me.... So I kind of know whether it's ahead or behind me.... So it's nice to know whether the alert is an old alert (doors you just passed) or a new one (something unknown ahead of you).

So yeah I would choose my V1 first over any of the others, mainly because the arrows are just really helpful. With that said, the X50 would DEFINITELY be my very close 2nd choice. I know I've seen the numbers, and the STi is supposed to have better sensitivity... but I think I still liked the X50 over the STi.

If the V1 didn't have arrows tho... I feel like it would pretty much be a tie between it and my X50.

By the way, I don't remember which version of the X50 I had... so it could have been the rev5 or whatever, the one that people say is the best... I have no way of being sure... but judging from when I got it... it most likely was a rev5

Sorry for the long response... but I remember what it was like wanting to maybe try out a new detector. If I were you though, and wanted to try something else, I would get both the STi and the V1. Trythem both out and send the loser back (you'll get a total refund I think)... If you don't have the money for that... I would try the V1 first... and if it gives you problems... then try the STi 2nd. I doubt you would have to go to STi though...