Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Blinder on a WRX

Hi,
    I have a Subaru WRX and have come across two different mounting locations in a thread. Which one would work best, the top one or the bottom one. I would prefer to mount it in the lower location but I want it to work also. I will have a front plate and will not be puting VEIL on my head lights. I know how effective the VEIL is, but i really don't like the way it makes them look all foggy. The pictures are in this thread

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=82033

My headlights are like the black car. Thank you in advance for your expertise.

Dan

Advanced Member

VEIL does NOT make the lights look foggy at all it gives them a smoked look and it you are even thinking about running a blinder with out a LaserSheild and VEIL, you are asking for a ticket especially due the the size of the headlights on the WRX

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Newcomer

thank you very much for the quick reply. I am probably going to put the Veil on my headlights to say the least. Which mounting location seems best for my wrx. Should i mount them in the lower position or in the grille. I'm going to measure the distances today, but do you measure from the center of the blinder 18" out, or do you measure from the right and left edge of the blinder? Thank you in advance,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    VEIL does NOT make the lights look foggy at all...
    pass me what yer smokin.

with veil:

without veil:

definitely makes things fuzzy and diffuse. "foggy," if you will.

Power User

man, that really wrecks your headlights.....do they all turn like that??

Advanced Member

I think that application might have gone a little overboard?
    Watch Outrun's video of The VEIL Guy applying the VEIL. The lights definitely don't turn out so "fogged"...

http://www.jasonsvideoproductions.co...oapplyveil.wmv

sure they do. they get a nice "smoked" effect for about three hours. once it's good and dry, it looks like the above pix. my technique is basically identical to what I saw in the video.

Scratonicity Groupie

being that post is my car or was my car before a deer I'll chime in

I would recommend mounting them where I did, but if you can put them a little closer to the headlights. The most critical, important thing is to make sure you get them level. I would recommend gettting VEIL for the foglights if anything. However, with a little practice throw it on your headlights with a good application it'll look good Since the WRX headlights pop out in seriously 5 minutes take those suckers out and take them inside. That way you can take your time in the AC plus you can leave them inside and away from the bugs, heat, and potentially the rain which will kill VEIL until it has time to dry!

Good luck if you need any more advice let me know and I'll hook ya up! You might wanna stop by subbie dealership and pick up a intercooler sprayer switch that way you can go for a stealth power switch! Dont worry about mounting the LED it doesnt help or do anything useful anyway!

Besides whats worse some foggy headlights or a ticket + going through all the hassle!!

Power User

umm, id have to say foggy headlights, I hate distorted lights, they look horrible. Subaru lights arnt the best anyway. Well on my rexy they wernt

ok, this is what I did. Here are some pics of the blinder, and veil on the headlights.

The veil does make my beautiful headlights look terribly oxidized/diffused or something, but its worth it. The light output is not reduced, but it is kinda difussed which really doesnt bother me. I washed the headlights, then I busted out my clay bar to get all the contaminents and bugs and other crap off.

As for the blinder, at first I was kinda scared to cut up my grill, but i figured it was worth it. I took some dikes, and cut some rectangles bigger than the blinder so I could move it up and down. I turned the mounting brackets the other way, to kinda recess the blinder in the grill. It only sticks out about 1/2 inch from the actuall grill, which is still behind the body lines.

I realized the grill had a little curve to it, which caused the blinder units to slightally face away from each other. So, I put three washers on one side of the blinder and one washer on the other side of it. They dont exactally lie on the same line/face exactally forward, but its pretty close. I used a machine screw, then a small washer, then a big washer, then the grill, then the spacer washers, then the bracket, then a small washer, then a nut to attach the units.

Levelling really was not to fun, adjusting it really sucks. First, I would kinda loosen up the screws, then I would put the grill thingy on the car and clip it in. Then I stuck in the bubble level thingy, and pushed up/down on the units to get them level. Then I would pull out the grill, and tighten down the screws, but as I was tightening them, it would always twist the unit a little bit, and throw it way off level. I spent like 40 mins and they still arent really level.

Good luck!